Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is the Horner Road Split Working?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How is the Horner Road Split Working?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 6:24am
Although it has only been one day, I would like to get feedback on how the Horner Road slug line split is working. I understand that the first day was somewhat confusing because not everyone was aware of the change.

In a way, slugging was a victim of its own success. As its popularity grew, the volume of cars became a problem as they spilled out onto Telegraph Road. When this happened and it became a real safety issue, the police had to step in to redirect traffic and issue citations. So, something needed to be done to prevent this from happening again.

The options presented were those of slugs and drivers (NOT VDOT or PWC). All the options presented were great and each could have worked to solve the problem. The option to keep 14th,L'Enfant, and Navy Yard together but use the perimeter of the commuter lot to stage cars had the most support so that is what was started on Wednesday, 21 April.

The one complaint thus far has been the slightly longer walk to the line and standing in the parking area itself (instead of on the curb). If it would be safer, the line could move to the curb.
slowdown View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 7:29am
So far this is a big pain. Especially for those that do not slug and meet carpool members. The line is right at the entrance to the lot and causes people to stop at the entrance to the lot. Let's see... I almost got hit entering the lot. Now, you have the new cars racing through that portion of the lot to find a "Close" parking space or to pick up a slug. #2, I almost "T-boned" someone racing out of an isle as I was traveling on the main isle. Thank God I know how idiots race through that lot and I was paying attention and was able to slam on my brakes and miss hitting him by about 5 inches. I'd say that gentleman was very lucking, he was in a very small white car and I was in a very large 2 ton pickup truck. Can people just slow down, remember who has the right away, and pay attention to what they are doing... Maybe moving the line to the curb would reduce the number of cars flying through the lot to pick up slugs.
dhdslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 9:18am
I LOVE IT!!! I don't mind the longer walk. This has been a long time coming. [:D]
map077 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote map077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 9:29am
Just want to say THANK YOU to Admin and all the fellow riders who saw this change through and made it happen! Today was my first day back to work and, yes, I did have to walk a little farther but it was worth it. I only have one complaint which was addressed by "slowdown". I, too, was noticing how fast the cars were coming through this morning and I had to step back when someone came too close to me. We should all take special care when walking and driving especially while this is so new.

One other thing I wanted to mention. While all the suggestions and plans were being made for the change, I was amazed at how many people I spoke with while waiting in line who never even heard of this website (I spoke with a driver one morning who didn't know there was a "-" between slug and lines and she ended up on some website in Wisconsin!). Maybe VDOT could put the web address on the electronic sign to help get the word out there. I think it is important because the more people who know, the more people will be aware of the problems (like the issue of slowing down) and who can provide input and ideas to make this system continue to work well.

The great thing about this system is when there are problems, they are looked at and addressed. Can't ask for more than that!
AV8R View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 12:28pm
The change is a disater waiting to happen. I sluuged for 2 years and have been driving for the last two years. The quick stop to turn is dangerous as cars entering the lot at the first bend have to worry about getting rear-ended. Then you have to worry about cars that enter the middle drive entrance T-boning you as they either race for a parking spot or try to cut in line further up. The car line gets tight around the bend and blocks several open parking spaces. The tight squeeze does not allow you to pick up passengers for your destination if there are cars ahead waiting for passengers to their destinations. In other words,you can't pick up and go if you are ready and the cars in front of you are not. Just add snow in the winter and it will compound the problem!!! It is also VERY difficult to see people walking as they cut in between cars and there is little space to see them.
**POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS**: a) have the 14th street/L'Enfant car line que up on the inside side of the slug island (parallel to the road) that way all slugs can stand on the island. 18th St autos can use the left side, 14th St autos use the right. Easy in, easy out. b) swap the 14th ST line with the 18th ST line as there appear to be more cars/slugs for 14th/L'Enfant/Navy Yard. The current change is NOT optimal! Revise it, PLEASE!
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 12:50pm
What AV8R says is true. I never considered the riders' point of view. It most be difficult to manuever and not getting hit by people trying to find empty spots where to park or trying to cut in line upfront.
jjmahoney View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 1:48pm
As a driver that goes the 18th Street route, I'm happy with the change. The number of 18th riders to 14th riders seems to change from week to week. That could be depending on the time of the morning I get there, but there does seem to be more 14th riders than 18th (before the line split). But there have been A LOT of cars that don't even pay attention to the VDOT sign and wait in the 18th street line only to find out when they get to the front that they're in the wrong line. They then speed out of line towards the 14th line. Not good at all. And there are many 14th riders that are looking for drivers in the 18th line. I can see the frustration on their faces as they're passing car after car and not getting a 14th driver.

But these are just growing pains. It will probably take a few days (or maybe weeks) for everyone to get used to it, and for all the riders and drivers to figure out what's going on. But my guess is by the end of the month, things will be fine.

"If tricycles came with guns, we'd all be safe." Project 86 - "Little Green Men"
dg222 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dg222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 3:55pm
I don't like the new setup, who decided it should be th 14th street people. The 18th street group had a long line of cars when I left this morning.
Hopeful View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopeful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 3:57pm
It's okay, except for the people that get impatient on both ends. Cars will whip around in 3-point turns to avoid going through the lot, and riders will hang back seeing if they can get in cars further down. There is also no room up front for waiting cars. This morning cars were making a hard left on the way in insead of going through, and it was making it impossible to let cars that had picked slugs up out of line and on their way...

I think this should all work out with time, though...[8)]
roc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 4:08pm
Wonderful!! finally we split the lines! Thank YOU!! now, how about a line at 21st or 19th & K Street:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic