Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids: the Catalyst for Positive Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolo5757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 9:53am
yeah I was real upset with my Prius' gas mileage. I was only getting 40 mpg until I realized one of my tires was low on air. Now I'm sucking down the gas to the tune of 49 mpg, on the highway with the cruise control set at around 75 or 80 with a total of 3 people in the car with gym gear. Yup sure does suck to be with the horrid gas mileage I'm getting....HMMMMM maybe if I ditched those 2 other people I'd get 55 mpg.....NAHHHH
oh and BTW the honda is NOT a true hybrid....it will NOT move without the engine being on so stop compairing the Prius and the honda like it's the same thing.
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 2:57pm
quote:
Originally posted by bolo5757
[br]
oh and BTW the honda is NOT a true hybrid....it will NOT move without the engine being on so stop compairing the Prius and the honda like it's the same thing.

I've re-read this several times and I have a simple question..
What in the world are you talking about?

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2005 at 7:17am
of course the point the OP is not telling you is that NO vehicles in reality get the Federal mileage ratings - it's a point of contention with the auto industry, who likes these inflated numbers - tests done on flat treadmill-like devices, nothing else on - which of course raises the overall numbers.

it's not JUST the hybrids, but every car out there.

All I know is this - I get 50-51 MPG to work and back and about 38 in my runs around town, sometimes better depending on how much stop and go I do. Overall, I average 46 mpg on a tank, sometimes better, because I do more highway than city.

For a car that I paid $11,400 for and got a $2,000 tax credit for last year, and reduced my weekl gas consumption from $110-$120 to $20, I think it's been pretty worthwhile for me.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2005 at 2:34pm
quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]
For a car that I paid $11,400 for and got a $2,000 tax credit for last year, and reduced my weekl gas consumption from $110-$120 to $20, I think it's been pretty worthwhile for me.

Did you buy your car used? I'm assuming you did for that low of a price. The federal tax credit is only for new vehicles. Is that the credit you took?

Edit: Nevermind, I saw your other post about trading in your truck so you really didn't pay $11,400 for it.
Sportbike Cowboy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sportbike Cowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2005 at 2:31pm
Just happened to pop into this discussion, here's proof for the naysayers:

http://www.sportbikecowboy.com/images/DSC02369.JPG

http://www.sportbikecowboy.com/images/DSC02334.JPG

Sportbike Cowboy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sportbike Cowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2005 at 2:45pm
quote:
Originally posted by cedarcitynative
[br]U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimated fuel mileage for these cars is rarely seen in actual practice.

See my prior post... lol [:D]

quote:
Instead of 60 mpg as EPA estimated for city driving, the Toyota Prius averaged only 35 mpg. (Wired.com)
this is flat out WRONG. The test drivers for Wired.com must be smoking drugs.

quote:
Since hybrid cars cost several thousand dollars more than conventional cars the same size, even with $2 per gallon gasoline, it would take a long time to pay the difference even considering the $1500 tax deduction for buying a hybrid car.

They're making A LOT of assumptions there. First of all, the Prius is a mid-sized vehicle, secondly, I realized this, and bought mine one year used with 12K on the clock for 21.. Various, equivalent Camry models (the closest mid-sized for comparison) start around 18 and run well into the mid 20's. Finally, it was assumed gas WAS $2 a gallon, we all know it's closer to $3 now.

quote:
Comment 1: EPA needs to do real-world tests to make their ratings more accurate, especially for hybrid vehicles.

Comment: the authors of this report need to actually drive one themselves!

quote:
Winningreen LLC
3712 N. Broadway – PMB 279
Chicago, IL 60613
Phone: 773-857-5086
e-mail: grandall@winningreen.com

[:o)]

JKnight View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2005 at 4:04pm
quote:
The latest reports on hybrids shows they actually get poorer gas mileage than their all-gasoline counterparts. (...) All folks are doing is driving an expensive gimmicky car that is actually dumping more pollutants into the air.

Dodging the question about whether they should be allowed in the HOV lane or not...these statements are just plain wrong.

Hybrids get better gas mileage than COMPARABLE gasoline cars. Sure, you can find cars with similar gas mileage, but they're smaller, lighter, and much less powerful than a hybrid, and they are not low polluters.

In my 2002 "classic" (i.e. "old tech") Prius, I regularly get between 36 and 51 mpg depending on how I drive, where I drive, how long the trip is, and other factors. The new Priuses get 50-60 mpg easily. How Consumer's Union managed to drive a new Prius and get such lousy mileage, I have no idea. You'd have to be towing a boat, IMO.

Secondly, Priuses (not all hybrids) are Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles (as defined by the California DoT). Because they use a combination of electric and gasoline power, using each engine by itself or in combination depending on need, they pollute far, far less than a conventional gas engine alone. They pollute so little, in fact, that the California DoT has granted them an exemption from bi-annual smog testing until 2010 because the current equipment can't measure such low emissions.

As for "gimmicky": the basic technology of the brushless electric motor (which is virtually maintenance free) was invented by Nikola Tesla in 1888. Locomotives have used hybrid technology (using a diesel engine to power electric motors that move the train) since 1928. Today's hybrids are a high-tech refinement of old, proven technology, not a "gimmick."

Jan
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2005 at 10:09am
JKnight, Get off the emmissions soap box! Let's talk in five years when you have to replace (and dispose of) your batteries. Hybrids are a landfill crisis waiting to happen! Talk about adverse impact to the environment!
maytrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maytrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2005 at 11:20am
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]JKnight, Get off the emmissions soap box! Let's talk in five years when you have to replace (and dispose of) your batteries. Hybrids are a landfill crisis waiting to happen! Talk about adverse impact to the environment!

The batteries are recyclable, so this is a non-issue. Not a single battery will end up in a landfill.
maytrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maytrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2005 at 11:26am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]I'd like the hype-bird owners to factor in the increased cost of buying the car into their fuel economy equation. How much more are you paying per month including gas and car payments?

Intellichoice.com says it's 3-4 thousand dollars more over 5 years to own a civic hybrid over a civic DX or LX.

I factored it in. I got a fully loaded model (leather and NAV) for just under $30k. I previously drove a Jeep and had I replaced my Jeep with a new on, with the same luxuries, I would have probably paid close to $40k.

Now, factor in that I went from 16mpg to 50mpg AND I drive 30k miles a year and my savings is over $3k per year.

I admit, my situation is a bit different from most, but there's one thing everyone who puts down hybrids forgets. Since when does ANYONE buy a car to save money? Cars rarely save anyone money, why make that an argument with a Hybrid? It's a choice and while it may have an upfront cost greater than it's gas counter part, it often has a few more extras as well. In addition, it WILL save you on gas and help reduce pollution.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic