Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids: the Catalyst for Positive Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2005 at 12:51pm
The batteries are warranted for 10 years/150,000 miles, and as Maytrix says, they are recyclable. Toyota is ready to begin recycling but are still waiting for the batteries to start failing. A taxi cab owner in Vancouver is running a small fleet of Priuses and put over 200,000 miles on a Prius without having a battery failure. The batteries are also modular with each cell being replaceable for about $20.

I really don't get the anti-hybrid sentiment (except for the anti-hybrid-in-the-HOV-lane sentiment, which I understand perfectly). Everybody buys gas and breathes air. You'd think they'd appreciate that some people are willing to spend extra money to save fuel (more for them at less cost) and pollute less.

It is interesting to follow the media and see that, as late as Dec. 2004, articles were spouting the conventional wisdom that "at today's gas prices" it would take a hybrid ten years to pay for itself. Now the figure that's bandied about is five years.

I kept my previous car for fourteen years, and the one before that for twelve. A five-year payback is fine with me!

More importantly, though, gas mileage and low emissions are values to me like heated seats and built-in DVD player are to other people. When will heated seats pay for themselves? The Prius is a fun car to drive and meets my needs very well (except when I need my SUV to haul dogs) and that's all I need to know.

Jan
maytrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maytrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2005 at 6:09pm
quote:
Originally posted by JKnight
[br]It is interesting to follow the media and see that, as late as Dec. 2004, articles were spouting the conventional wisdom that "at today's gas prices" it would take a hybrid ten years to pay for itself. Now the figure that's bandied about is five years.

Great point - And why is it that a hybrid needs to pay for itself? Does that Excursion pay for itself??
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2005 at 10:04am
Maytrix, because value is a selling point used to promote hybrids, they cost more than comparably equipt small cars. No one buys an Excursion expecting to get a good value, its an ego feeder.

BTW, JKnight, I am not opposed to hybrids, I simply think they are an unnecesary distraction from the real issues. I am not opposed to hybrid drivers because I think their hearts are in the right place. Nor am I opposed to hybrids in the HOV lanes. But I AM opposed to hybrids with ONE passenger in the HOVs.

I am opposed the HOV exemption. I am opposed to any law that says: "Buy this and you will get special treatment from law enforcement officials." Anytime preferrential treatment can be bought, discrimination is present.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2005 at 10:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]Maytrix, because value is a selling point used to promote hybrids, they cost more than comparably equipt small cars. No one buys an Excursion expecting to get a good value, its an ego feeder.

BTW, JKnight, I am not opposed to hybrids, I simply think they are an unnecesary distraction from the real issues. I am not opposed to hybrid drivers because I think their hearts are in the right place. Nor am I opposed to hybrids in the HOV lanes. But I AM opposed to hybrids with ONE passenger in the HOVs.

I am opposed the HOV exemption. I am opposed to any law that says: "Buy this and you will get special treatment from law enforcement officials." Anytime preferrential treatment can be bought, discrimination is present.

Ah, but have you noticed that the concentration of hybrids is greater in the DC region than anywhere else in the world? Why do you suppose that is? Was it a taxpayer funded incentive?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2005 at 1:16pm
Keep your eye on the ball NoSUV. Hybrids are more prevalent in DC because of the exemption, its no coincidence. Taxpayer funded? The only taxpayers who are funding an HOV exemption are hybrid drivers who fund hybrid auto manufacturers, that's you! Follow the money: >you buy hybrid, >hybrid auto manufacturer lobbist pushes for exemption, >politician passes exemption, >you buy more hybrid. Its a big circle that begins and ends wtih your money! "The wheels on your hybrid go round and round..." and everyone gets a share of your money. Wait, you didn't actually think someone was looking out for you, did you?!

Hybrids are a distraction, a scam, a boondoggle, another product to sell you until they get the unit price of fuel up high enough to guarantee profits of the next fuel. When that happens they will be selling us bio diesels, or ethanol, or some other kind powered cars. I guarantee you that in ten or twenty years no one will own hybrids. You are driving the 8-track of 2020!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2005 at 10:43pm
So, if given a choice of incentives to buy expensive technology that lowers consumption of gas while reducing emmissions, do you prefer financial from the government (taxpayer) or non financial (such as exemptions)? How about for other programs besides hybrids?
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2005 at 5:36am
Ah NoSUV,

Exemptions DO cost money. When the HOV becomes congested, there is a cost in time/gas/emissions to be paid by everyone on the HOV. When that cost is incurred by HOV compliant vehicles at the expense of SOV vehicles (hybrid or otherwise), then that creates the imbalance (real and perceived) to which most are looking as being "wrong".

Hybrid gas/elec vehicles run primarily on batteries in stop & go traffic. If a hybrid vehicle is SOV, it should be in the stop & go traffic of the mainlines where emissions are reduced (for it at least) and the SOV doesn't impinge on the freeflow of traffic in the HOV thereby making the HOV concept more attractive and the incentive to alter commuting habits is retained.

That seems reasonable to many people, probably a majority. If a vehicle is HOV with the requisite numbers, then it should be able to travel in free flowing HOV lanes (regardless of the original concept for the reversible lanes), don't you think?

By creating one incentive (hybrid exemption) at the expense of another (HOV expedient lanes), this creates an imbalance to a commuting system that works rather well--as long as we can keep the big financial interests out of it to the largest extent possible.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2005 at 10:36pm
NoSB: Actually, the majority probably prefer lower gas prices. News reports are touting that lowered demand is helping to drive our gas prices lower. Because hybrid technology is expensive, the only way to make it cost effective for the individual is to provide incentives. That can either be enough cash to pay for the added buying expense, or a non cash incentive. Only when enough are used to drive total regional fuel consumption can everyone benefit. Did it help in our area? Don't know - hard to tell. If total consumption was down by 50K barrels during the Katrina crisis because of the high concentration of hybrids in our area and that translated to an overall savings of 10 cents per gallon, wouldn't you say that everyone benefited from the hybrid exemption?
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2005 at 4:54am
NoSOV,

IF it were really about keeping prices down and decreasing overall demand on OIL supplies, then there is a mix that burns in EVERY gasoline powered vehicle on the roads. THAT partial solution can provide an IMMEDIATE decrease in crude oil demand by 15% with little effort on the distributors part. Oh, that mix also decreases the toxicity of emissions too.

Why hasn't anyone moved in that direction here? Other municipalities have mandated its use which indicates it is in the distribution stream. We haven't here because the color GREEN is blinding people to more comprehensive solutions that DON'T compromise one portion of the system by providing benefits to those in another portion.

I'm sure the color GREEN is what people think will buy us out of a mess. Some of those people are hybrid owners who drive SOV. These people DON'T help the overall system as their contribution is negligible and compromises others around them. IF it were just about ONE person's vehicle, sure buy a hybrid. but it's not... There's a whole other group of people out there who need to be encouraged to change driving and commuting habits. Most of those needing to change commuting habits are sitting in the mainline in SOVs. There's still plenty in the HOV who need to be encouraged to change driving habits since that alone can contribute to improving the overall situation so much more easily at little to no expense.

The SOV hybrid only allows the owner of that vehicle to feel good about themselves, but does little to improve the overall situation. Although the owner does help fund a marketing campaign that spreads disinformation to people to make unwise economic choices--many of those who choose poorly work in Richmond in the state house.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2005 at 10:33pm
NoSB: As I've said before, hybrids are better than regular cars even during non commuting travel.

By the way, if we are going to have the ability to burn other than fossil fuels, best way is to change the gas tank hole and pump just as was done during the switch from leaded to unleaded gas. If you have the tank modification, then you qualify for CF plates. Otherwise, no way to keep from cheating.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic