Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids: the Catalyst for Positive Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patriot37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 8:18pm
Hi VA4ver,
The fact is, the SUV isn't going away. Which do you preffer: 12 mpg or 30+? I call that a substantial improvement. My Escape gets better gas milage than over 80% of the family cars made today (and remember, we're just getting started). If you want real economy, are you driving a bike the rest of the time? Since it's a "utlity vehicle" we can use it for all those functions we couldn't with a car. Oh, did mention, this is a great beginning. Happy trails.
Man of Reason View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2006 at 10:29am
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot37
[br]Hi VA4ver,
The fact is, the SUV isn't going away. Which do you preffer: 12 mpg or 30+? I call that a substantial improvement. My Escape gets better gas milage than over 80% of the family cars made today (and remember, we're just getting started). If you want real economy, are you driving a bike the rest of the time? Since it's a "utlity vehicle" we can use it for all those functions we couldn't with a car. Oh, did mention, this is a great beginning. Happy trails.

Great to hear that reasonable heads are prevailing in the VA Assembly...A compromise solution has always been the correct path for hybrids using the HOV lanes in VA....Ending an exemption because it's been too successful??? that's bassackwards...also, too much congestion in the regular lanes....where would you put the additional cars??

I commute daily using a Civic Hybrid on the HOV lanes (after 7:30 in the am and before 5:00 in the pm, hov-2 and alone ) and continue to be struck by the assertion of sluggers, vanpoolers, etc.that the HOV lanes are overcrowded (some commuters on pro-slugging websites even claim, ridiculously so, that there's often more congestion in HOV vs. non-HOV...). If these people were being honest, they would tell you that with the exception of bottlenecks at two points in the HOV corridor (beginning at Edsell Rd. through the Springfield Interchange where ALL vehicles are allowed to enter HOV and the Eads St. exit at the Pentagon) traffic moves at a steady pace of 65+ miles an hour. If anything, I would contend that the HOV lanes along the I-95 corridor are underutilized given the extreme congestion problems experienced in non-HOV lanes.

An article by "Dr. Gridlock" (Ron Shaffer) of the Washington Post echo's my sentiment and it seems the majority of users in HOV lanes; In the
article he asked readers for their counts and opinions of hybrid vehicles in the HOV-3 lanes. The consensus among readers was that there is not a
congestion problem outside of the bottlenecks mentioned above and that hybrids should continue to be allowed for this use...The following were
some of the conclusions drawn and a link to the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46042-2005Feb23.html

Given the above, not to mention the fuel crisis we're in here in America, the move toward HOT lanes along I-95 and overall support of the hybrid exemption (see below), extending the exemption in one form or another is the only logical course of action.....

Other Facts
The Washington Post conducted a scientific survey of attitudes toward hybrids and the use of HOV lanes in VA. "In a recent Washington Post poll, 56 percent
of Northern Virginians said single-person hybrid vehicles should be allowed to use carpool lanes, and 43 percent said they should not. Across the
region, 53 percent said they should be allowed and 45 percent said they should not. To measure attitudes toward commuting, The Post interviewed 1,003 randomly selected adults in the Washington area Jan. 27 to 31." 2005

In addition, national polling favors hybrid use in HOV-lanes; MSNBC poll did poll similar to the Washington Post....70% support the hybrid exemption in
HOV....1682 people were polled...(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54561-2005Jan6.html
)...

dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2006 at 6:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by Man of Reason
[br]
Originally posted by Patriot37
[br]Hi VA4ver,

I just took a scientific survey of four people in Dobbins, California. Seventy-five percent agreed that Virginia should rent out its governors mansion for wedding receptions.

Take two asprin, recruit three slugs to relieve congestion.

dickboyd@aol.com
chief_pace View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chief_pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 8:03pm
HOV lanes are for High Occupancy Vehicles. Hybrids get the payoff with the mileage and tax break. What irks most slugs is the fact that Hybrids violates the spirit of the concept of HOV. My suggestion is that since 3 in a hybrid wrecks the mileage then let Hybrids on as HOV 2 vehicles in the HOV 3 lane. That would seem to be fair. That would also take in account the Insights that only can take two.

I know the recent move by the Senate has made me politically active again. Both HOT and Hybrid rulings have made it clear that the only thing that counts is allowing people to buy their way on to the HOV. Money rules and self interest would be the salient factor in both issues. sd
Max_28756 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 10:14am
This is directly from the VDOT WEB site http://www.virginiadot.org/comtravel/hov-default.asp
"HOV Lanes or High Occupancy Vehicle lanes are designed to help move more people through congested areas. On the outskirts of the nation's capital, the Virginia Department of Transportation provides HOV-2 (two or more travelers) and HOV-3 (three or more travelers) lanes to help.

HOV lanes allow users to travel faster, while also freeing up congestion in regular lanes."

HOV lanes are not designed to save the environment. They are not designed as incentives to purchase new technology. They are designed as incentive to get the most people in the least amount of cars thus reducing the number of cars on the road. By reducing the number of cars on the road, you reduce congestion. The environmental plus is that by reducing the amount of autos, you reduce the amount of pollution.

Simply having a Hybrid tag on your car or truck does not place you into an exclusive club of saving the environment. There are dirty hybrids out there as well as pure gas engine cars with cleaner emissions than a hybrid.

Please do not lose touch with the pure purpose of the HOV - HIGH OCCUPANCY VEHICLES!
Patriot37 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patriot37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2006 at 11:31pm
Pure purpose...
Keep the big/bigger picture in mind. Traffic and travel decisions can't be complete without including all the needs like flow, time, #s of cars, economy, emmisions and probably more that I haven't mentioned. To focus on just one aspect in need (the one that seems most important to you/them) is very short sighted and leads to fishtailing. See you on the road.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 7:39am
quote:
Originally posted by Max_28756
[br]This is directly from the VDOT WEB site http://www.virginiadot.org/comtravel/hov-default.asp
"HOV Lanes or High Occupancy Vehicle lanes are designed to help move more people through congested areas. On the outskirts of the nation's capital, the Virginia Department of Transportation provides HOV-2 (two or more travelers) and HOV-3 (three or more travelers) lanes to help.

HOV lanes allow users to travel faster, while also freeing up congestion in regular lanes."

HOV lanes are not designed to save the environment. They are not designed as incentives to purchase new technology. They are designed as incentive to get the most people in the least amount of cars thus reducing the number of cars on the road. By reducing the number of cars on the road, you reduce congestion. The environmental plus is that by reducing the amount of autos, you reduce the amount of pollution.

Simply having a Hybrid tag on your car or truck does not place you into an exclusive club of saving the environment. There are dirty hybrids out there as well as pure gas engine cars with cleaner emissions than a hybrid.

Please do not lose touch with the pure purpose of the HOV - HIGH OCCUPANCY VEHICLES!

Max - the I-95/395 corridor was NOT built with HOV in mind. They were built as express lanes. The concept was that commuters who don't need to use local exits could breeze by, reducing congestion by improving traffic flow. HOV came about as an after thought. If the lanes were built with HOV in mind, there would be more entrances and exits.
Max_28756 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 1:16pm
Only the Shirley Highway portion was built as express lanes. The remainder was built as HOV and have Transportation Department guidance on allowing only vehicles with ILEV designation run as SOV's. When DMV included hybrids as CF eligible in 2000, it was as an incentive for environmental issues. Now Federal regulations have made vehicles after 2004 have the same or better emissions as hybrids. The incentive is gone as should be the exemption.
Last count put over 22% SOV hybrids blocking the HOV. Lanes are designed to hold between 1,500 and 1,800 vphpl. Hybrids push that limit past 1,900. Carpool!
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 1:40pm
Or better yet, hybrid owners could pick up slugs or form a carpool to add passengers. As I have said many times, hybrids are not the solution. And hybrids with at least three passengers do not contribute to the problem. This is not complicated folks; SOV hybrids contribute to congestion. I agree that people should take mass transit, and that POVs should carpool, and that HOV lanes should be reserved for multiple passenger vehicles.
TROLL View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TROLL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 4:20pm
So basically Hybrid owners are selfish? I thought it seemed odd that some hybrid owners don't bother picking up slugs.
It seems like the practical idea, a car that has great gas mileage, should be used for commuting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic