Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids: the Catalyst for Positive Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SillyBilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 7:54am
Great googly moogly!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 12:42pm
quote:
Originally posted by Max_28756
[br]Only the Shirley Highway portion was built as express lanes. The remainder was built as HOV and have Transportation Department guidance on allowing only vehicles with ILEV designation run as SOV's. When DMV included hybrids as CF eligible in 2000, it was as an incentive for environmental issues. Now Federal regulations have made vehicles after 2004 have the same or better emissions as hybrids. The incentive is gone as should be the exemption.
Last count put over 22% SOV hybrids blocking the HOV. Lanes are designed to hold between 1,500 and 1,800 vphpl. Hybrids push that limit past 1,900. Carpool!

Max,
A previous post had links to historical items from around 1974. I used that link and quoted from the precursor of VDOT to get my facts. The lanes were originally for buses only - HOV was an after thought. Just like hybrids, only 25 years later.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2006 at 3:47pm
So what! Nothing that NoSUV has said changes the fact that SOV hybrids add to congestion in lanes designed for HOVs (personal, private or whatever).
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2006 at 4:05pm
NoSUV knows that a vast majority of the HOV lanes were built in the late 1980's and 1990's solely for HOV. Of course, HoSUV only cares about the 7 miles NoSUV drives on.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2006 at 10:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by Man of Reason

I commute daily using a Civic Hybrid on the HOV lanes .

Do me a favor and tell us what the emissions rating of your car is? It is located in the engine bay.

quote:

An article by "Dr. Gridlock" (Ron Shaffer) of the Washington Post echo's my sentiment and it seems the majority of users in HOV lanes; In the
article he asked readers for their counts and opinions of hybrid vehicles in the HOV-3 lanes. The consensus among readers was that there is not a
congestion problem outside of the bottlenecks mentioned above and that hybrids should continue to be allowed for this use.

Dr Gridlock is biased and you can't rely on a moderated column as representative of the population.
quote:

Other Facts
The Washington Post conducted a scientific survey of attitudes toward hybrids and the use of HOV lanes in VA.

Did they ask how people felt if half the hybirds were as dirty or dirtier than the average new car? Polls are easily designed to elicit an answer you want.

ProNo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2006 at 10:09am
Man of Reason,

I would challenge that poll on two counts:

1. I would also like to know where those who were polled commuted from, and at what times (that is, what portion of the people polled contend with the worst of the consequences from SOV hybrids.)

2. Most importanly, I would want to know what portion of the polled individuals were themselves hybrid owners. If we assume that 22% of those polled were already hybrid owners (which is the accepted proportion of total HOV traffic), we can also assume the answers from that 22% block would be automatically in favor of hybrid exemptions because no hybrid owner would oppose their own benefit.

So, if you subtract 22 points (the proportion of "automatic yes" hybrid owners) from the survey's "in favor" category, you're left with only 34% of regular folks in favor and 45% of regular folks opposed.

Maybe in future polls, SOV hyrid owners should only be allowed 1/3 of a vote.

-ProNo

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2006 at 1:54pm
ProNo: I don't think MoR ever said that the poll was just taken of users of the express lanes during HOV hours. I think you accidentally jumped to that conclusion.

The world WOULD be a better place if at least 22% of all vehicles were hybrids, but I'm not sure that a measly 8K are enough.
savage1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savage1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2006 at 4:34pm
I believe SLUGS would feel better about Hybrids if when we looked into their cars there were at least "2 passengers" rather than ONE[:p]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic