Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids: the Catalyst for Positive Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2006 at 9:54am
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]I'm sure when the auto lobbyists first got the hybrid exemption passed, they never bothered to tell the legislators that in a few years they would be looking at hybrid sport utes. Also that the hybrid technology can be used for EITHER higher milage OR better performance, or a mix of both. Now the legislators have got a big problem if they dont end the exemption. Hopefully they have come up the learning curve but dont bet on it.

Bob,
Legislators have even a bigger problems if they don't extend the exemption. Nearly all are on record for supporting it. Have you found even one to go on record for ending it?
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2006 at 12:59pm
Too much green flowing their way from the car/oil alliance. As long as they get elected by spending gross amounts on campaign propaganda, why would they change?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2006 at 4:19pm
It would be a little interesting if they did extend the exemption. They would extend it, a huge flood of new hybrids would be purchased within weeks, and then the legislators would find the need to un-extend the exemption.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2006 at 7:47pm
What if the HOV exemption were based upon the new "realistic" EPA MPG figures? Let's say anything over 45 MPG as rated by the EPA could drive SOV. Make the EPA start rating motorcycles so the exemption is fair.

All 4 of my Prius driving colleagues get only 40 MPG. Another colleague with a VW diesel gets 55 MPG. If I drive my small car 55 MPH, I get 45 MPG. I had a Geo Metro that got 55 MPG at 60 MPH.

We need legislation that encourages manufacturers to build better cars, not squeeze 2 more MPG out of a 400 HP SUV, so it can drive SOV.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2006 at 3:28pm
What if everyone were treated fairly by our government? What if you were not discriminated against because you made a different buying decision? I can't afford to buy a hybrid, does that make me some kind of a second class citizen? In the world today it does! Wake up, its marketing! Hybrids are not the answer to our fuel/traffic congestion/smog problems! Hybrids are marketing, that's it! They are a way for auto companies to add to their product line and appeal to "green-thinkers" with a manipulation of facts argument.

Sorry, but as long as the lanes say HOV-3, a single passenger hybrid will not be HOV-3. Exemption = discrimination! HOV-3 should stay HOV-3! Why? Because it works, its free, its already there, it encourages smart decisions, it solves several problems, it is a good solution! But NOOOOOOOOOOO! Everyone has got to look for ways to mess with a good thing.
Politicians: "...hey, they're riding for free, we can make some money off them!"
Auto companies: "...hey we need more products for people to buy, lets make some stuff up and get political buy in."
Green wanabees: "...this is cool, I get to buy something and don't have to carpool to use the HOVs. I feel green."

Get smart people! Hybrids are a scam. HOV exemptions discriminate. HOT is both a scam and discriminates, and it screws the very people the HOV lanes were designed to serve.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2006 at 5:15pm
What is interesting is everyone that uses the slugging system that I speak with is vehemently against both hybrid and HOT. And yet, on this site, it seems that most of the politically involved members have drifted away and no longer contribute.

I say, keep fighting the good fight, writing letters and talking it up. We can and will still make a difference on both issues.

On hybrid, they may well get another year exension. However, it is obvious to all but a fool that it will have to end when the clogging gets worse and worse. Of course, tens of thousands of us good guys are going to pay the price for this IDIOCY.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2006 at 6:53am
Raymond,

You forgot the oil companies: Hey, mpgs are headed south, time to work up a new international story to justify our outrageous increases in gas prices.

All the while continuing the great American dependency on oil products rather than considering diversifying into products that actually support America's interests and policies (if our elected officials would think comprehensive strategies, instead of trust fund earnings).

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
TROLL View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TROLL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2006 at 10:30am
There has been a problem!

Invalid Password or User Name

Go back to correct the problem.
Patriot37 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patriot37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 2:26pm
Hello Bob, how are you today? Well I hope. I have a suggestion that might help your situation… Increase the circle people you speak with. It may help make for a more interesting and informed life. I slug 3-4 times per week (every day for the last 3 weeks) and I find that sluggers are about 50/50 on the subject. I also found it interesting that about 15% of us own hybrids. Try getting out a little more, enjoy yourself.
Raymond, No you’re not a second class citizen. As for affording a hybrid, that’s a personal problem, one you have control over. You’re right that hybrids are not THE answer, but they are a work in progress and a step in the right direction. Our Escape is the right vehicle for my family and now that I can buy one that averages over 30 mpg, I’m in. This is just the first step toward much greater technology. We need the incentives for the people and manufacturers in order to grow and change, otherwise, you’d be riding a horse. Giddie up.
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 3:09pm
It's true that hybrids are the step in the right direction WHEN it improves gas mileage. But when you say an SUV hybrid that might get 30 mpg is an improvement, then you are in the wrong. What is needed is 40+ mpg cars and yes that means a decrease in size. Sorry to say the Escape, Lexus, etc. are an excuse to keep the big cars. 30 mpg -- that's not a lot of mileage!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic