Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids: the Catalyst for Positive Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrids: the Catalyst for Positive Change
    Posted: 12 May 2004 at 4:25pm
I am the proud owner of a 2005 Toyota Prius. I have since changed my views on hybrids since first posting this topic almost two years ago. My Prius gets 45-50 mpg on the I-95. Owning it has revolutionized my life and way of thinking. I will never own an all-gasoline car again.
--------------------------------------------------------

Issue Alert from Winningreen A051204

Hybrid-electric cars get less mileage than EPA estimates

By Gretchen Randall

Date: May 12, 2004

Issue: With crude oil topping $40 per barrel and gasoline prices at or near $2.00 per gallon in many parts of the country (nearly $3.00 in California), motorists may be tempted to consider buying a hybrid gasoline-electric car. But before you buy a hybrid vehicle, be aware that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimated fuel mileage for these cars is rarely seen in actual practice.

According to Wired News, EPA tests for city and highway mileage are based on estimates derived from actual vehicle emissions tests. EPA states. "The tests measure the waste substances emitted from consuming the fuel, not the actual fuel consumed. From the measurement of emissions, EPA can estimate the miles per gallon achieved by the vehicle on average."

Owners should expect to get only 60-75% of the estimated mileage according to Consumer Reports. In Consumer Reports’ tests, the Honda Civic, instead of getting the estimated 47 mpg in city driving, averaged only 26 mpg. Instead of 60 mpg as EPA estimated for city driving, the Toyota Prius averaged only 35 mpg. (Wired.com)

Since hybrid cars cost several thousand dollars more than conventional cars the same size, even with $2 per gallon gasoline, it would take a long time to pay the difference even considering the $1500 tax deduction for buying a hybrid car.

Comment 1: EPA needs to do real-world tests to make their ratings more accurate, especially for hybrid vehicles.

Comment 2: There are many types of clean fuel technologies in the development stages including a clean diesel fuel, which need some funding and testing to bring them to market.

Comment 3: EPA refuses to test bio-lubricating oil which could dramatically increase mileage while reducing pollution. Congress should direct EPA to search for such real-world solutions to environmental problems.

Links: Read more about hybrid cars at: http://autos.msn.com/
Also, read "Hybrid Mileage Comes Up Short " by John Gartner at http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,63413,00.html

Winningreen LLC
3712 N. Broadway – PMB 279
Chicago, IL 60613
Phone: 773-857-5086
e-mail: grandall@winningreen.com

tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2004 at 5:29pm
Once again misguided reporting. I have a buddy with a Hybrid and his city driving is well over 40 mpg. You can twist the hybrid issue any way you want. They are here to stay and will only become more and more available to the public in many different forms. The HOV issue aside..... thats one for the lawmakers to settle and I agree they really dont qualify for the exemption........the hybrid technology is a good step in the right direction. Both the military and the commercial community are exploring the technology and developing vehicles that rely on hybrid technology.
denden891 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denden891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2004 at 8:46am
I don't know about the Civic, but my 04 Prius is getting better mileage in city then the epa est (65+ vs. 60) and I am getting right at the estimate of 51 highway. 650+ miles to a 12 gallon tank is pretty good in my book. [:)
motownldy199 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motownldy199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2004 at 2:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by denden891
[br]I don't know about the Civic, but my 04 Prius is getting better mileage in city then the epa est (65+ vs. 60) and I am getting right at the estimate of 51 highway. 650+ miles to a 12 gallon tank is pretty good in my book. [:)

My '02 Prius just yielded a 580 mile tank as well. And folks need to recognize that the EPA MPG estmates are just that--ESTIMATES. Remember, Your Mileage May Vary.

bowflexguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowflexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2004 at 8:54pm
My Prius is getting 54 mpg on an 85 mile rt per day. Not bad, huh? I don't like the fact that gas is going up but my wallet isn't getting to skinny with my Prius.
jjmahoney View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2004 at 12:54pm
I've wanted a hybrid for quite some time. These MPG testimonials make me even more eager to get my hands on one.

"The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." I Corinthians 1:18
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 7:10am
no, they don't get the EPA numbers, but I regularly get an average of 48 mpg with mixed city and highway driving. I've been as high as 51 mpg on a tank, and as low as 39 (almost all city driving).

So what's your point?
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 9:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by tdar20
[br]They are here to stay and will only become more and more available to the public in many different forms. The HOV issue aside..... thats one for the lawmakers to settle and I agree they really dont qualify for the exemption........the hybrid technology is a good step in the right direction. Both the military and the commercial community are exploring the technology and developing vehicles that rely on hybrid technology.

Hybrids are here to stay. But I don't know if they are going to be a real viable option for passenger cars. They cost too much more for the increased mileage. In large applications like buses they make much more sense. The vehicles operate on a more continual basis making recovering the extra cost possible. Plus, buses are a stop and go vehicle. Hybrids are perfect for that driving. American driving habits and the maintenance requirements of a vehicle with two powertrains are going to make hybrids a hard sell for the majority of americans. They will remain a niche vehicle. But this is just my opinion.
BTW: This is a really old news story.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2005 at 11:46am
I'd like the hype-bird owners to factor in the increased cost of buying the car into their fuel economy equation. How much more are you paying per month including gas and car payments?

Intellichoice.com says it's 3-4 thousand dollars more over 5 years to own a civic hybrid over a civic DX or LX.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2005 at 2:12pm
Oh, and that assumes they are paying retail, not marked up price.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic