Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radio etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 3:55pm
I'm sorry, but I still think that listening to a radio station, with a very (and I stress VERY) politically charged and slanted agenda with slugs in the car goes against the "no political discussion" rule. I'm not talking about NPR or WTOP, these are news stations that cover everything (even if they are slanted). And I'm not talking about certain types of music either. I'm very willing to accept whatever music people are listening too, after all it is their car.

But for the first time in 6 years of slugging I was actually offended by what was being said on this particular station. It crossed the line. I have listed to discussions ranging from politics to sex, but I have never actually been offended by anything until today.

There's a fine line between what glacier says,"...so I suggest getting a slightly thicker skin" and just getting walked all over.

One final question to all those who disagree with me. Why isn't it acceptable for the driver of a car (with slugs) to talk about whatever they want, like religion, politics, or sex? I mean, it is their car, they should be able to talk about whatever they want, right?
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 3:38pm
As I said before, drivers don't need to be concerned about what their passengers think about their radio stations, but sample this: If you had "Churchlady" in your car and you knew she would be offended by the "Shock Jock" or some other vulgar type program, would you not honor her presence by changing the station?
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 2:59pm
You too!

Cheers,

Glacier
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 2:24pm
Very well put everyone. I've ridden with a few individuals who were very considerate [:)], and some who were less considerate [:(]. I also believe in being prepared like as glacier put it, and am willing to compromise. I've seen people "jerk" door handles while getting in a vehicle, plop down in the back seat and attempt to adjust the front seat from the back, comment on the smell of a car as to insult the driver, and even worst at times. Of course, it not being MY car, I mostly give the diver a look of disbelief and try to enjoy the ride. And, in all fairness, this type of behavior has been the exception and not the rule.

Have a Great Weekend All [:)].

PSMITH4780 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSMITH4780 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 1:18pm
And put even better by Glacier.....!!!!

I am a driver and I must say I am very considerate about the volume of my radio (sound is only on the drivers side front) but I'll be darn if I'm not going to listen to what I want on my radio!
slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 1:15pm
......and the winner is.........GLACIER!!! [:)]

VERY WELL PUT...AND THE EXACT POINT.

quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]Must agree with Woodbridge and respectfully disagree with VA. Volume is an etiquette issue; radio content that is not vulgar is not. I dislike rap, NPR, and morning sidekick personalities droning on about their lives, however when riding I deal with it. If, when driving, I had to size-up every slug to discern their likes, it would be a waste of time. If I didn't want to "offend" anyone, striving to PC, I guess the only station I could put on would be 1610am, which gives updates on the Prince William Forest. But, alas, even that would put someone off. Next thing you know I'll be wearing an all white shirt for fear of offending someone's fashion sense.

The thing that makes me scratch my head, with regards to slugs (of which I am one), is what they expect and how unprepared they are to compromise. You're getting into someone else's car. If you cannot tolerate Christian radio, am630 because they mention the words Bush or Kerry, or the smell of someone else's coffee: take the bus. Bottom-line, you're interacting with OTHER people, so I suggest getting a slightly thicker skin.

Cheers,

Glacier

glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 1:06pm
Must agree with Woodbridge and respectfully disagree with VA. Volume is an etiquette issue; radio content that is not vulgar is not. I dislike rap, NPR, and morning sidekick personalities droning on about their lives, however when riding I deal with it. If, when driving, I had to size-up every slug to discern their likes, it would be a waste of time. If I didn't want to "offend" anyone, striving to PC, I guess the only station I could put on would be 1610am, which gives updates on the Prince William Forest. But, alas, even that would put someone off. Next thing you know I'll be wearing an all white shirt for fear of offending someone's fashion sense.

The thing that makes me scratch my head, with regards to slugs (of which I am one), is what they expect and how unprepared they are to compromise. You're getting into someone else's car. If you cannot tolerate Christian radio, am630 because they mention the words Bush or Kerry, or the smell of someone else's coffee: take the bus. Bottom-line, you're interacting with OTHER people, so I suggest getting a slightly thicker skin.

Cheers,

Glacier
PSMITH4780 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSMITH4780 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 12:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by FromWoodbridge
[br]...When I'm in someone else's car I deal with what they listen to. When I drive, I listen to what I want. As long as it's not blaring, then it's fine. If it's not, drive your own car.

...Well Put!!!
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 12:46pm
I always carry my portable cd player and most of the times I use it.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 12:34pm
I have to agree with FromWoodbridge. I don't care what the driver listens to, as I can usually tune it out. But when the radio is blaring, it's hard to ignore. I've noticed a lot more people lately listening to their radio very loudly, and while it is their car, I wish they would be more respectful of the riders.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic