Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radio etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSMITH4780 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 1:18pm
And put even better by Glacier.....!!!!

I am a driver and I must say I am very considerate about the volume of my radio (sound is only on the drivers side front) but I'll be darn if I'm not going to listen to what I want on my radio!
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 2:24pm
Very well put everyone. I've ridden with a few individuals who were very considerate [:)], and some who were less considerate [:(]. I also believe in being prepared like as glacier put it, and am willing to compromise. I've seen people "jerk" door handles while getting in a vehicle, plop down in the back seat and attempt to adjust the front seat from the back, comment on the smell of a car as to insult the driver, and even worst at times. Of course, it not being MY car, I mostly give the diver a look of disbelief and try to enjoy the ride. And, in all fairness, this type of behavior has been the exception and not the rule.

Have a Great Weekend All [:)].

glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 2:59pm
You too!

Cheers,

Glacier
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 3:38pm
As I said before, drivers don't need to be concerned about what their passengers think about their radio stations, but sample this: If you had "Churchlady" in your car and you knew she would be offended by the "Shock Jock" or some other vulgar type program, would you not honor her presence by changing the station?
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 3:55pm
I'm sorry, but I still think that listening to a radio station, with a very (and I stress VERY) politically charged and slanted agenda with slugs in the car goes against the "no political discussion" rule. I'm not talking about NPR or WTOP, these are news stations that cover everything (even if they are slanted). And I'm not talking about certain types of music either. I'm very willing to accept whatever music people are listening too, after all it is their car.

But for the first time in 6 years of slugging I was actually offended by what was being said on this particular station. It crossed the line. I have listed to discussions ranging from politics to sex, but I have never actually been offended by anything until today.

There's a fine line between what glacier says,"...so I suggest getting a slightly thicker skin" and just getting walked all over.

One final question to all those who disagree with me. Why isn't it acceptable for the driver of a car (with slugs) to talk about whatever they want, like religion, politics, or sex? I mean, it is their car, they should be able to talk about whatever they want, right?
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 5:50pm
TLSCHAU,

Because, talking TO them tacitly FORCES them to RESPOND. Listening to the radio does not. If one goes with your line of reasoning, drivers would spend an entire drive trying to figure out where the "line" is for each and every slug. Not a pleasant thought is it? Remember, everyone has a different line, maybe you'll pick-up one that is offended by ABBA; what then?

The only reasonable answer is to understand that listening is a compromise you HAVE to make when slugging. If you can't grow a thicker skin, bring a cd player and some head sets. I'm not trying to be flippant, but if we follow your thinking, soon we won't listen to anything because someone won't like it.

As for "being walked over", you need to deal with it and understand that the driver has no idea what political leanings you have. If I can do it, so can you. You meantioned having no problem with NPR. As a conservative, I can't stand NPR, it's pretty far left for ME and in my opinion, very biased to the left. However, I listen, take it in, and argue the point in my head. I don't take it personlly and feel walked over. When I listen to AM630 or Christian radio, I expect the same from riders.

Thanks for the honest discussion.

Cheers,

Glacier
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2004 at 8:27am
I suppose there is always something to complain about. Sit back and enjoy the ride. You get what you pay for.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2004 at 8:49am
Tdar,

Great point. Just glance over at the I-95 parking lot and smile that you're not in it.

Cheers,

Glacier
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2004 at 9:28am
I think one of the options people that cannot grow thicker skin have is the commuter bus. However, they'll have to deal with people talking on the cellphone too. Systems are not perfect so we have to accomodate to what it fits the best for our necesities.
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2004 at 11:28am
glacier,

Thank you too for the discussion. I agree with what you are saying. But like I had mentioned before, this was the only time in my 6 years of commuting that I have ever been offended. In fact, I actually consider my to have pretty think skin, you have to around here, particularly if you are conservative. And I never intended to sound like I was complaining. I have been posting on this board for a long time and I think this is the first time I've ever said anything negative. In fact, I've read a lot of what I consider to be crazy things that other people complain about and just laugh. I love getting a free ride and being able to get to work with my own car very quickly when I drive. Slugging is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The only real question that I wanted to ask when I started this topic was if people thought that listening to Rush Limbaugh, or Alan Colmes, or Sean Hannity, or whatever crossed the line with the political discussion rule. And I guess everyone is saying no.

But then where do you draw the line? Vabigblue brought up a good point. "If you had "Churchlady" in your car and you knew she would be offended by the "Shock Jock" or some other vulgar type program, would you not honor her presence by changing the station?"

Anyway, I guess dixieedog has the best solution so far, "Portable CD Player w/headphones, problem solved."

And one last thing just for the record...I never said that I didn't have a problem with NPR, I do, in part because my tax dollars are paying for it. But like you said, I just listed to it and enjoy the ride. I guess I'm going to have to eventually just tell everyone what the radio station is so they can listen to it. Although I bet very few of you will be able to listen to it for more that 5 minutes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic