Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radio etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radio etiquette
    Posted: 21 May 2004 at 11:15am
I know this is a topic that has probably been discussed in the past, but given some recent rides that I have had, I felt the need to revisit the topic.

This morning, I had the misfortune of having to listen to this particular radio station during most of my 45 minute morning commute. The radio station, which will remain unnamed as to avoid free advertising, sounded like an episode of the X-Files. There were all kinds of conspiracies being discussed about this politician and that politician. I don’t know how I made it all the way to DC. But my point is that I think that listening to this sort of very politically charged radio station goes against the “no political discussion” rule. Anyone else?

I’ve also notices an increase in the amount of political discussions that have been taking place among drivers and slugs. And whether or not I agree with them, I have not, I’m proud to say, ever taken part in any of them. I happen to think that the “no political discussion” rule is a good one.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 11:37am
tlschau, I assume you were the slug - at any rate, it just goes back to other threads on this site whereas some drivers aren't concerned AT ALL about their passengers' views or anything else. I suppose if it's your vehicle you don't have to be concerned; however, I'm with you, some consideration should be given to radio stations, especially from a political standpoint.
FromWoodbridge View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromWoodbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 11:39am
It's no different than having to listen to Christian radio or conservative talk shows in the afternoon, or WTOP for the whole 45 minutes. I can't stand anyone of those, so I do listen to other stations. When I'm in someone else's car I deal with what they listen to. When I drive, I listen to what I want. As long as it's not blaring, then it's fine. If it's not, drive your own car.
dixeedog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dixeedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 12:15pm
Portable CD PLayer w/ headphones, problem solved.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 12:28pm
I had the bad luck one day to have a driver that had ALL the sound in the back speakers, and the radio cranked way up so he could hear it up front. I wadded up kleenex to make earplugs and resigned myself to my fate. When we arrived at Rosslyn, he had to ask twice whether I wanted the Metro before he got my attention. As he watched, I pulled the "earplugs" out and asked him to repeat the question.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 12:34pm
I have to agree with FromWoodbridge. I don't care what the driver listens to, as I can usually tune it out. But when the radio is blaring, it's hard to ignore. I've noticed a lot more people lately listening to their radio very loudly, and while it is their car, I wish they would be more respectful of the riders.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 12:46pm
I always carry my portable cd player and most of the times I use it.
PSMITH4780 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSMITH4780 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 12:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by FromWoodbridge
[br]...When I'm in someone else's car I deal with what they listen to. When I drive, I listen to what I want. As long as it's not blaring, then it's fine. If it's not, drive your own car.

...Well Put!!!
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 1:06pm
Must agree with Woodbridge and respectfully disagree with VA. Volume is an etiquette issue; radio content that is not vulgar is not. I dislike rap, NPR, and morning sidekick personalities droning on about their lives, however when riding I deal with it. If, when driving, I had to size-up every slug to discern their likes, it would be a waste of time. If I didn't want to "offend" anyone, striving to PC, I guess the only station I could put on would be 1610am, which gives updates on the Prince William Forest. But, alas, even that would put someone off. Next thing you know I'll be wearing an all white shirt for fear of offending someone's fashion sense.

The thing that makes me scratch my head, with regards to slugs (of which I am one), is what they expect and how unprepared they are to compromise. You're getting into someone else's car. If you cannot tolerate Christian radio, am630 because they mention the words Bush or Kerry, or the smell of someone else's coffee: take the bus. Bottom-line, you're interacting with OTHER people, so I suggest getting a slightly thicker skin.

Cheers,

Glacier
slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2004 at 1:15pm
......and the winner is.........GLACIER!!! [:)]

VERY WELL PUT...AND THE EXACT POINT.

quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]Must agree with Woodbridge and respectfully disagree with VA. Volume is an etiquette issue; radio content that is not vulgar is not. I dislike rap, NPR, and morning sidekick personalities droning on about their lives, however when riding I deal with it. If, when driving, I had to size-up every slug to discern their likes, it would be a waste of time. If I didn't want to "offend" anyone, striving to PC, I guess the only station I could put on would be 1610am, which gives updates on the Prince William Forest. But, alas, even that would put someone off. Next thing you know I'll be wearing an all white shirt for fear of offending someone's fashion sense.

The thing that makes me scratch my head, with regards to slugs (of which I am one), is what they expect and how unprepared they are to compromise. You're getting into someone else's car. If you cannot tolerate Christian radio, am630 because they mention the words Bush or Kerry, or the smell of someone else's coffee: take the bus. Bottom-line, you're interacting with OTHER people, so I suggest getting a slightly thicker skin.

Cheers,

Glacier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic