Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Talkers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 7:45am
Maybe I leave too early, but I don't see or hear the conversations as alluded to. Maybe because I have on my headphones, but it really doesn't seem as if anyone is talking. Life is rough![:p]
harlean View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harlean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 1:12pm
I may be the only one who agrees with phuncadelic. What is wrong with talking on the cell phone? I've done it as a rider - sometimes it's personal, sometime it's a call from work. I've also seen - or heard - drivers to the same.

If a driver tells me to put away my cell phone I will tell him/her I'll do it if they will pay my $80 bill (for 2 phones).

However, I will say this: a conversation in another language other than English IS rude. And I am trilingual - English, Spanish and French. I do not carry conversations in a language other than English.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 1:27pm
No offense, but that is a pretty bold (rude) response for someone who is using someone else's car to get home. Say that to the driver, and don't be surprised if they tell YOU to pay for their car or get out.

(btw, I am a rider, not a driver)

quote:
Originally posted by harlean
[br]
If a driver tells me to put away my cell phone I will tell him/her I'll do it if they will pay my $80 bill (for 2 phones).

harlean View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harlean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 1:54pm
I would gladly get out and hope they get a ticket for not being HOV-compliant. They didn't HAVE to pick me up did they? If my conversation is not offensive (like the thread in another post) then why do you care if I talk on the phone?

And I don't talk on the phone all the time, every day, on each trip. Just when it is necessary - a friend in need or a problem at work. THAT should not be a problem.
chinquapin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinquapin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 2:23pm
Well put, Roadrunner. Harlean's attitude could qualify her as a charter member of a "do not pick up" list.
[;)]
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 2:28pm
Harlean, they would care because it is THEIR CAR. You can have cellphone conversations all you want if you're the driver.
The only time I see to use the cellphone as a slug will be if it's an emergency previous to letting the driver know.
Other than that, I consider it as plain rude.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 3:17pm
I think the point is EXCESSIVE talking. And yes excessive cell phone talking is annoying and rude (it's rude in stores, walking down streets and in cars). The idea is to be polite and if you are going to converse solely with a particular individual and not the whole car, make sure it's done quietly so that the radio could be heard or another conversation could be heard. Also, if you get or have to make a call make sure it's brief -- Hi, it's so and so. I'm in a carpool and have to be quick....

It's also impossible to demand that your riders don't engage in conversations. It's human nature to chat.

People are forgetting how to be polite these days.
Max_28756 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 3:18pm
Harlean makes this sound like a "us and them" arrangement. This is anything but an "us and them" arrangement as it is a mutual respect for the needs and personal space of both the drivers and passengers. We need each other to exist. As a slug (aka rider) 99% of the time, I am very grateful for the ride and sit back and enjoy the view of those sitting in traffic as we drive by. Let's not have any of us think we are intitled to anything more than a common goal of getting to and from work in a way that cuts down on traffic.
NEWYORKER View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEWYORKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 3:35pm
WOW - three languages. Maybe you should have invested in taking lessons in manners not languages.
quote:
Originally posted by harlean
[br]I may be the only one who agrees with phuncadelic. What is wrong with talking on the cell phone? I've done it as a rider - sometimes it's personal, sometime it's a call from work. I've also seen - or heard - drivers to the same.

However, I will say this: a conversation in another language other than English IS rude. And I am trilingual - English, Spanish and French. I do not carry conversations in a language other than English.

NYC
harlean View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harlean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 4:10pm
New Yorker, I'm not American-born. As many of you can't even speak your own language. My manners are better than most of you I encounter every day, especially in the Metro. You just don't understand - or refuse to understand us. If you want to keep discussing this email me.

In any case, I think Stuck2 has hit the actual issue: "EXCESSIVE talking." That IS rude. But just how do you tell the slug you just picked up to shut it? The slug can't tell YOU to shut it, so why should you have the privilege?

I agree with Max_28756 in that "we need each other to exist." So, if you want to enforce such a rule in your car, then how do you do that?

What about the slug who is not talking on the phone? Shouldn't his/her wishes be heard and respected too? How do you find a happy medium for everyone in the confined space for 45+ minutes? I honestly don't think you can without someone getting an attitude.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic