Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Talkers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BonnieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talkers!
    Posted: 25 May 2004 at 9:42am
Today I had 2 middle-aged women in my car who talked (between themselves, never trying to include me in the conversation) the entire trip between Rolling Valley and 12th street. I even increased the volume on the radio so I could hear NPR and they just TALKED LOUDER!!

I have also noticed that more and more slugs are talking on cell phones (and not just the 1 minute "I'll be home in 20 honey" which is fine) but 15, 20 minute conversations.

I think that it would be rude to tell these people to shut-up but it is really starting to aggravate me. Anyone else noticing this?
greatday View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2004 at 10:48am
I'm in full agreement. I've had the chatter boxes in my car...maybe they should check out the slug rules again. I've also had the most important people in the world in my car becuase they JUST HAD to answer/talk on their cell phone in my car. I have no problem with the 1 minute call to whomever, but the prolonged conversations are an annoyance.

I think what I need to do is print up rules for my car, hand them to the slugs prior to getting in my car, and leave the decision up to them on whether they want to ride with me [:)]
Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2004 at 12:22pm
Is it possible that some of these sluggers may not know the rules? I think that maybe it's assumed that folks know or at least share the knowledge of the "slug", but from the sounds of some of the latest message boards, some have been been missed. I'll bet MOST slugs/drivers don't even know this website exists. My suggestion -- print up a few flyers, start a few down the slug line in the morning (ie, when you're done reading the short blip, hand it to the next person). Include things like "the top 10 rules (whatever those might be) for slugging (or driving)", a few do's & don't, and then put a plug in for this website. Bet you'll get a few "ah-ha's" --
slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2004 at 1:13pm
I agree - A lot of folks don't know about this website...and with the "new generation" starting to slug more, we need to get the rules out. I've had several "young people" talk from one person to the next on the entire ride home......

So.....who wants to do the flyer...and who want to volunteer to help put them out???????[:0]
salsita View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salsita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2004 at 1:20pm
I wouldn't say it's the young people or the "new generation" I'm one of those young people and I don't speak unless I'm spoken to. I've seen plenty of young and older people talking non-stop. If I'm not asked my opinion or whatever, I close my eyes and ignore.
Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2004 at 1:38pm
I think it's our job to constantly "inform" new sluggers. I recall vividly our first "slugging" experience. We stood a few feet behind the 610 line and just listened to the slugs in line, to the drivers and the general motion of things. You can gain alot from a visual, but I also think that there's many out there who are fearful of slugging. In order to ease those fears, it's up to the "old guard" (and I'm not talking age here) to inform. Maybe it's a start with getting the radios turned down or the two people in your backseat to talk quietly or not at all....
Max_28756 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2004 at 3:44pm
This is a message to the person behind the curtain, aka "Admin". Will you please add No cell phone use beyond a simple "I'll be home in 15 min" type message in the Etiquette and Rules section. There aren't any references (that I read) that refer to cell phone usage and we have all been in a car with the person who either had to continue their work in the car or had to talk about last night's American Idol show. To all you cell phone users, I DON'T want to know your life story via your phone conversation. If you are that important, don't leave work.
FromWoodbridge View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromWoodbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2004 at 4:26pm
so, what's a tactful way of telling someone to stop talking on their cell phones?
Johnny Cakes View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Cakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2004 at 8:58pm
"Excuse me, but I really need to think though some things. I'd apprecate it if we could just ride in silence, please."

JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2004 at 9:02pm
As a driver, I turn the radio up louder--don't care if it's not tactful. As a rider, I try to ignore it, though one fellow rider was so noisy (and personal) on her cell all the way home that I apologized to the driver on behalf of all slugs when I exited.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic