Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Request Kingstowne Slugline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Request Kingstowne Slugline
    Posted: 18 May 2002 at 5:31pm
I'm interested in starting a slug line in Kingstowne. If anyone would like a ride into DC please email me at pattiinnova@aol.com. I go down 14th up to G around 7:30am. Thx!
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2002 at 4:25pm
quote:

I'm interested in starting a slug line in Kingstowne. If anyone would like a ride into DC please email me at pattiinnova@aol.com. I go down 14th up to G around 7:30am. Thx!

I also live in Kingstowne and have been interested in this idea, at least for the mornings, but like you as a driver (I do not have consistent work hours and I almost never leave before 6:00). The question is, where? The Kohl's parking lot seems like a good place, but I doubt they would stand for commuters parking in their lot.

jdewey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2002 at 4:06pm
My roomate and I used to slug in from Lake Ridge and we have lived in Kingstowne for over the past year. We currently take the Metro but have always thought it would be a good idea to have a slug line there, but where is the question. I agree that the Kohl's parking lot would be a good place. The only other problem is what happens if you slug in the morning, but don't get a ride home in the afternoon - it is a looong walk from the Metro to Kohl's.

BTW - 14th and G would work for us too as riders - we work 7:30 to around 5:00pm.

John
jdewey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2002 at 4:06pm
My roomate and I used to slug in from Lake Ridge and we have lived in Kingstowne for over the past year. We currently take the Metro but have always thought it would be a good idea to have a slug line there, but where is the question. I agree that the Kohl's parking lot would be a good place. The only other problem is what happens if you slug in the morning, but don't get a ride home in the afternoon - it is a looong walk from the Metro to Kohl's.

BTW - 14th and G would work for us too as riders - we work 7:30 to around 5:00pm.

John
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2002 at 3:14pm
quote:

14th and G is a good location (I work a block from there), but I'm afraid I'm not someone who can offer a great commitment in the afternoons since I usually work 7:30 AM to 6:30 or 7:00 PM. The bigger difficulty is with the location in Kingstowne--Kohl's may or may not allow commuter parking (I've never shopped there, so I don't know), and it's a real problem for the afternoons for the reason you cite. I guess one could always cab it from the Van Dorn Metro, but that's not a palatable solution on a regular basis and the line would fall apart quickly.

The thing for me has been that on the rare occasion when I leave early in the afternoon, Bob's has worked out well. In the mornings, however, Bob's is a waste of time for someone in Kingstowne because you can be halfway downtown on Van Dorn by the time you pick up slugs at Bob's (at least, I can--I live in the North Village; it may be different for folks at the other end of Kingstowne). I don't know how a new line somewhere in the vicinity of the shopping places would work time-wise since the drive over to the HOV lanes takes a few minutes (I don't know how long at rush hour). Probably still faster than the infernal light at the corner of Van Dorn and Eisenhower. How I hate that light!

Publicity-wise we would probably have to see if the KROC would put something in the Kingstonian. That's IF it were OK to park at Kohl's. They seem to be 2/3 empty for most of the year, but they get busy around Christmas and would probably want those spots back.
Patti View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2002 at 4:15pm
How about the Manchester Lakes Shopping Center as a possible drop off /pick up spot? It is right on the busline for the Franconia Springfield Metro in case someone cannot get a ride back from DC?

Please email me at pattiinnova@aol.com if you are interested. I have a regular schedule -- pick up around 7:30am (because I already get one rider from Manchester Lakes). We leave DC from 12 & K around 5pm, and pick up riders at 14 & H or down at the Monument.

Let me know. In September I'm going to be a "slug" for a few weeks since I'll be recovering from surgery. It would be so much more convenient to have our own Kingstowne slugline.

Posting our request in the KROC sounds like a great idea.

Patti View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2002 at 4:21pm
Here's what I sent higgins@kingstowne.org regarding a KROC notice:

Commuter request for next KROC

If anyone is interested in creating a slug line in Kingstowne so commuters can benefit from riding the HOV lanes, please email me at pattiinnova@aol.com. The closest slugline to Kingstowne is Bob's in Springfield off Old Keene Mill Road. Average commute from Kingstowne to DC (14&G) during morning rush hour is only 20 minutes!
Possible pick up spots are Kohl's parking lot, Manchester Lakes Festival of Food parking lot, the new Safeway off Kingstowne Blvd or the Springfield Franconia metro.

PattiInNoVa@aol.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic