Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Gripes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2004 at 12:48pm
Scarlet,

That's exactly what I'm saying....Drivers need to be more hospitable. I ride and drive, about 50/50...So I see both sides of the spectrum....Standard etiquette should be followed by both sides so that the system continues to thrive....But I think a line has to be drawn, where both the rider and the driver tolerate a bit more...ie. not allowing someone in your car because they carry a certain type of bag....That's crazy to me..
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2004 at 2:56pm
are you serious? what's the big deal? is he not allowed to MOVE? For pete's sake, it's not as though he was URINATING in your precious vehicle.

if you are this anal about riders, perhaps you should post "SLUGS MUST NOT SPEAK, TYPE OR MOVE DURING THE RIDE WITH ME"

or just forget picking up slugs!
dkerley View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkerley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2004 at 4:58pm
OK, I just have to say something here and perhaps this should be in a category all its own, but as a driver I am getting the impression that slugs are expecting the drivers to bend over backwards for them. My examples are being disrespectful of the driver's property such as throwing your bag no matter what kind on across the the backseat either puncturing, ripping or dirtying the driver's back seat; eating and drinking in the driver's car without asking, complaining about WTOP of ALL things -- its not like you're are being forced to listen to the Playboy station on XM Radio....and the list goes on and on.

I understand that the driver should be safe at all times which means not being on the cell phone for the entire length of the trip; driving erratically; driving in speeds in excess of 80 mph; having the radio too loud in the back or listening to lewd music; keeping the interior clean so that an suspecting slug does not bring with them to the office an "substance" of some sort on the backside of the trousers, and that list goes on and on......

We need each other - you - the slug for the freebie ride and us - the drivers to get in the HOV's. Neither slug nor driver should be carry this "you need me attitude".

Does anyone get what I am saying?

I am usually the driver and I always try to be courteous and friendly and safe -- but I expect the same in return.

BOTTOM LINE:

I think for both sides to be happy, we need to exercise common sense and respectfulness (is that a word?)

Catch my drift? :)

OK, everyone be nice now. ;)

Dina
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2004 at 5:08pm
Dina,

I absolutely DO agree with you ... it is all about common sense and common courtesy. No less, no more. I can just imagine being a tentative new driver or slug and reading this message board ... some of the posts might "drive" me away.

ScarletLSG
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2004 at 9:24am
Dina, yes "Respectfulness" is a word...and a good one at that ! [:D]
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2004 at 9:28am
Maybe it's the advantage of a new line (the Herndon-Monroe/Rosslyn run), but to be honest, I haven't experienced the ugliness that is constantly described. But Dina's remarks are right on the mark. It's a two-way street, and both sides of the process need to have their stuff together. Has the I95/395 system become so jaded that animosity runs rampant? Sure hope not, especially with the discussions of running HOV down to F-burg.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2004 at 10:03am
Nah, it's not jaded.....It's just an example of a few ruining it for the whole. 99% of the time, things are great.....
mertonbunker View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mertonbunker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2004 at 1:34pm
As a slug, I often use my laptop while commuting to/from work. This is productive time that is normally wasted. If I wish to use my laptop in the shotgun seat, I ALWAYS ask, especially when it's dark, as the screen can be a distraction. Some drivers say no, and that's ok. Hey, it's their car! When in the back, I generally don't ask, as the noise of the keyboard is washed out by the noise of the vehicle.

Courtesy is a must, but the driver also does have a responsibility to make his/her slugs understand any rules unique to their vehicle. If they don't like something they see, they should politely ask the slug to stop the behaviour in question. Same for slugs. Remember...slugging is a mutually beneficial arrangement! We need each other to make this work. As stated in a previous post...respectfulness is essential.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic