Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PM Pentagon Delays

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PM Pentagon Delays
    Posted: 28 May 2002 at 9:50pm
Has anyone else noticed the recent delays in getting to the Prince William stack lane at the Pentagon the past few weeks? I drive in from the Navy Annex side and lately it's taking me on average 20+ minutes to get from the crosswalk (going under the highway) to where I turn off Rotary into the stack lane. I understand a delay when slugs are few, but in this case I think it's due to the MP's directing traffic. They're holding up the cars coming out of the slug lanes which naturally stifles the constant flow of cars in and out. In my opinion, the stop signs were working just fine.

One day I sat (no kidding) 8 minutes waiting for the MP to allow me to exit with my riders and get on HOV-- and that was after it took me 30 minutes to get my riders!

Is anyone else noticing this? Is there someone or somewhere to pass this concern along to, or am I the only frustrated driver out there?

wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2002 at 3:08pm
If it is any consolation, it is taking me roughly the same time to get over from my spot in South Parking. Most of the dalys I've noticed seem to be driver induced, e.g., 2 cars, sitting abreast at the Horner/PM line waiting for Horner riders with a long line of PM folks in line or 2 sitting abreast at Tacketts with no one in line. Talk about a bottle neck...

Patricia View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patricia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2002 at 3:23pm
Would the Rosslyn line be quicker? If it's taking 20+ minutes to get through the Pentagon lines, in less time you could head over to Rosslyn, pick up a slug or two and be on HOV. Just a thought...

Patricia
Tackett's/Rosslyn lines
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2002 at 4:35pm
quote:

Would the Rosslyn line be quicker? If it's taking 20+ minutes to get through the Pentagon lines, in less time you could head over to Rosslyn, pick up a slug or two and be on HOV. Just a thought...

Patricia
Tackett's/Rosslyn lines

Thanks for the suggestion Patricia. I actually work at Skyline off Route 7, so I already backtrack 4 miles to the Pentagon, and just don't want to have to drive any further when the Pentagon is ideal for me. I just wish the MPs would stop controlling the traffic flow.

J View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2002 at 5:44pm
quote:

quote:

Patricia
Tackett's/Rosslyn lines

Thanks for the suggestion Patricia. I actually work at Skyline off Route 7, so I already backtrack 4 miles to the Pentagon, and just don't want to have to drive any further when the Pentagon is ideal for me. I just wish the MPs would stop controlling the traffic flow.

Given that Skyline is basically an extension of the Pentagon, as far as having DoD military and civilian personnel working there, a few flyers might be in order.

Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2002 at 6:45pm
My wish came true today.

When I arrived at the Pentagon this evening, the MPs were NOT directing traffic, and I made it to the Prince William stack lane in only 4 minutes!

I'd like to believe my theory was accurate.... but time (and MPs) will tell........

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2002 at 11:01pm
The slug line at the north end of Crystal City (the end closest to the Pentagon) is only a couple of minutes (depending on lights) from the Pentagon. I have no idea how well that works, as I've only tried it once when Rosslyn was very stacked up.

- Eric.

bonnie.burrell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie.burrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2002 at 8:13am
I work at the Pentagon and participate in a carpool so I don't often pick up slugs. When I do, I avoid South Parking at all costs. In the morning, I announce "North Parking" to the Pentagon slugs. If there are no takers, I'll drive Crystal City slugs to the CC Metro or 23rd Street before I'll go to South Parking. In the afternoon, I check the slug line near Crystal Gateway North before biting the bullet and going to South Parking.
Is anyone interested in a North Parking slug line? I know that leaves out all the people who are trying to get to the Pentagon Metro in the morning and those coming off the Pentagon Metro in the afternoon, but there are still a LOT of people who are assigned to the Pentagon who have access to the POAC side of the bldg.

Bonnie
viper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2002 at 9:53am
Seems like this problem has "gone away". I haven't noticed any "help" from the MPs lately. The traffic seems to be working itself out just fine.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic