Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Coordinated Rides Home
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHERNDON MONROE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine919 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HERNDON MONROE
    Posted: 30 Aug 2004 at 11:48am
I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND A SLUGGER IN THE MORNING HOURS..
THAT GOES TO DOWNTOWN DC..
OR A EVENING SLUGGER
I GET TO THE KISS N RIDE AROUND 7:30 OR 7:45 AND THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO PULL UP, BUT I THINK THEY HAVE DESIGNATED PEOPLE.

CAN ANYONE DESIGNATE ME AS A RIDER?[;)]

Always a Smile
oms View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2004 at 3:28pm
I used to pick up slugs at Herndon Monroe P&R, but no longer do since I've begun a new job in Frederick. Everytime I arrived (usually between 8:00-8:10) I was the only driver. Unfortunately, this seems to be a dying line. Perhaps you ought to hold up a sign with your destination. That way drivers will see you and you'll hopefully get your ride. Don't be shy!
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2004 at 3:45pm
You might try again now that the summer is over. Might be more drivers willing to pick up with traffic clogging up in the non-HOV lanes. I normally picked up around 6:45-7:00, but now that I'll be working in the Dulles area, I won't have to do the downtown run anymore.
Sterlingslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sterlingslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2004 at 3:39pm
Sunshine, please pull up into the lot with a sign from this web site stating where you want to go. The perpetual lines for buses 950 and 980 are your slugging candidates- a sign should pull someone over. I personally go to Rosslyn every day and keep an eye out for drivers!
manalangd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manalangd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 2:38pm
Just moved to Reston and started picking up slugs at the Herndon Monroe to DC last week between 7:30am - 7:45am, Mon - Fri. I've always managed to get a passenger within 2 mins. I've even seen cars behind me doing the same thing so this is a good sign. Slugs have told me that it's not everyday though that they see cars there.

David
ralbritton View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralbritton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2004 at 3:52pm
I will be doing a regular stop at H/M P&R pretty much every morning between 7 and 7:15. I've done it the last couple of days, but haven't seen anyone other than those that seem to have regulars. 'Course the rain yesterday may have had some effect. [;)]

I haven't wanted to impede traffic, so if there is no one there immediately, I have sat in the spaces provided. Should I stay in the main line against the curb, or should I wait in the spaces?
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2004 at 10:16am
I used to do the H/M lot about the same time, and I normally had no problem getting a rider. Two things that worked for me: (1) Stick a sign in the door window with my destination. I had "Rosslyn or Downtown" since I worked downtown. Half the time I got riders going all the way in. (2) Park along the curb across from the 980 stop. I was normally lined up with the back end of the bus, allowing folks coming from the garage to see me and my sign before/as they got in line for the bus.

Listen for the reports on Metro delays. I normally had especially good luck on the days Metro was having problems.
ralbritton View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralbritton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 4:12pm
I've got it down now. The sign definitely helps and I've had some goood people to ride with. Now, if we can only get it going back, I'd be all set. I have a few people who I call before I leave for the day, but I'd like to find a more reliable option.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic