Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Coordinated Rides Home
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPentagon, L'Enfant or Union Station

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TR Naus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentagon, L'Enfant or Union Station
    Posted: 27 Sep 2004 at 9:10pm
I don't need a coordinated ride home some much as a coordinated ride into town each morning from the 610 Lot. I would need to get to Pentagon by 0600, L'Enfant by 06:15 or to Union Station by 0635. The times are pretty rigid allowing me to catch the MARC train I need to get to work. The VRE is not an option (the earliest gets to Union Station 3 minutes too late), so I could certainly use any help, ideas or suggestions.
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2004 at 8:02am
I don't use 610 personally but HOV doesnt begin until 6 AM so not sure how well slugging would work for you. Would taking the bus be an option for you?
TR Naus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TR Naus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2004 at 7:32pm
I would if I could (take a bus), but I can't find one that gets into DC in time. One hoping I harbor: early drivers that pick up slugs around 0545. By the time they get to Springfield, it would be 0600.

My goal in this post was to find somebody that may know of a way to get into DC BEFORE 0630 -- slug, bus, or otherwise.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2004 at 8:00am
It sounds as if you'd like to minimize driving (I certainly understand, given the traffic on that part of 95), but one option is to drive to the Rt. 234/Rt. 1 commuter lot at exit 152 and take the 5:20 Montclair bus. It is scheduled to get to the Pentagon at 5:55. Or you could continue on that bus into DC and get off at either 14th and F or on H Street and walk 1.5 blocks to Metro Center. If you're worried about cutting the time too short, there is a 5:00 bus. Awfully early, but you could snooze on the way in. Good luck--it sounds as if you're in contention for the dubious honor of having the worst commute.
TR Naus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TR Naus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2004 at 10:51pm
Muchas danke JiggaJynx.
I started looking into the Omniride bus system when I wrote the post, but I didn't take it too seriously until I read your reply. I gotta say -- I like it! Its only 13 miles from my home to the to the Rt 234/Rt 1 commuter lot (the VRE station: 9 miles). It got me to work on time (VRE: always too late). I discovered that there were way more options getting home (VRE: last train at 18:40). As a bonus, the lights are turned off during the trip (VRE: always on and in my eyes), it wasn't overcrowded (VRE: standing room only), and the seats were comfortable (zzzzzzz).
I may be giving OmniRide too much credit (and VRE too little), but I did want to thank you for your assistance. It was greatly appreciated and seemed to do the trick.

Daniel
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 11:08am
Glad to help. Even though it's pricey, OmniRide is worth every penny compared to sitting in the regular lanes. Too bad slugging didn't work out for you, but maybe your needs will change in the future. You did answer one question I had by saying that VRE was standing room only from your area. That had been my impression from seeing the train as I slugged up 95, so I guess getting on at Rippon would be a waste--pay more than on the bus, take at least as long (all the stops), and have to stand for the trip[xx(]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic