Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Backups on the HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 11:56am
Hey Spongebob:

Agreed. Great Idea.

Ussage fee to keep exemption. Now were on a right track. Any other Ideas out there?

RM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 12:02pm
elama: The article that I read did not say what VA's response was, but I figured the 2006 deadline was a positive response to the government, but if (if) they have extended it beyond 2006, oh brother...
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 12:03pm
But what would a meaningful usage fee be? $500? $1000? And wouldn't it be essentially a tollroad at that point? I was sorta kidding, my friend. It's my fear of the clever clowns of VDOT that keeps me awake at night. I'm going dressed as one on Halloween.

(BTW, I'm a public school man, too. [;)])
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 12:18pm
LOL. Amen!

[:D]
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 3:09pm
quote:
Originally posted by gsm
[br]Hear! Hear! I agree. VA has made it way to easy for the single drivers, including an early lifting of restrictions (6pm). Years ago it was 6:30pm and allowing them onto the HOV at Edsall Rd to go a few exits. (People say that it is because of the Springfield Interchange construction, but this was in effect waaaay before that started.) Letting the single drivers on at Edsall Rd.literally stops the HOV and the regular lanes are just zipping right along. Way to go VA. These decisions do NOT promote carpooling.

It isn't because of the CONSTRUCTION; your point amply illustrates that. The official reason is that it's because of the small merge area between the Beltway and the Old Keene Mill/Franconia exit, which has been a snarl for years. VDOT says that the rationale for allowing all vehicles to use the Turkeycock Run entrance into the express lanes to bypass Springfield is that it is preferable to have a backup in the express lanes as opposed to having THREE more severe backups (I-395 and both loops of the Beltway) if all those cars had to stay in the regular lanes. The hardcore HOV crowd may resent it, but there is some logic to it.

The plans for the Springfield Interchange call for both eliminating this exemption and for closing the Turkeycock Run entrance to the express lanes once the construction is done in 2007 (the reason is that the merging I reference above will be eliminated when the work is done). Guess we'll see in three years.
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 4:40pm
"The plans for the Springfield Interchange call for both eliminating this exemption and for closing the Turkeycock Run entrance to the express lanes once the construction is done in 2007 (the reason is that the merging I reference above will be eliminated when the work is done). Guess we'll see in three years."

Ok, so I don't want to get all hyped up about something that may or may not happen, but knowing that VDOT officials periodically monitor these discussions.....there is no valid reason to close this entrance once construction is completed. All that needs to change is enforcement of HOV-3 rules at that entrance point. If that means radio announcements, newspaper articles, and signage to get the Springfield crowd to understand the change, then fine. There are just too many that carpool from just inside the beltway and benefit from that entrance point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic