Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driver Makes Extra Stop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver Makes Extra Stop
    Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 11:54am
I have been slugging since 1988 from various locations and I had a first this morning at Route 17. A driver pulls up alone and says "Pentagon." Another rider and myself got into the car. As we were pulling away from the end of the people in line, someone from the line shouted "Can you take a third?" The driver then said he could not because he was picking someone else up. I thought it odd that he picked us up first and was thinking that he would pick the other rider up somewhere else in the lot, but then as he was headed towards Rt 17, I knew something was amiss. To make a long story short, I had to pull it out of the guy, but he was going to meet someone else at the Rt. 630 lot and we would all change vehicles and get into the other person's vehicle. I said that he should have said something to us before we got into the car. I didn't bother to ask the guy why he didn't pick up slugs at 610 AFTER he met his ride at 630. To make matters worse, he became rude when we got to 630, pointing at me with his finger only a couple inches from my face as he telling the second driver that I complained about him not saying anything about making an extra stop). I kept silent because there did not appear to be a slug line at 630.

I would not have taken his ride because I was running late and there were plenty of cars going to the Pentagon. Also, why make the extra stop when there are plenty of drivers? What do you all think? Do we now need to start asking whether the driver is going straight to the destination or was this guy just being purposely discourteous and making HIS morning commute easier at the expense of the riders? Personally, I think he did not inform us of his extra stop when we got into the car because he figured no one would get in and he wanted to make better time for himself.
mcc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 12:36pm
OK. I will get the make of car and license # if I should see him again. I was seething as this was happening and didn't think to get the information. All I remember is that the first driver drove a sedan (2nd driver red pick up truck) and the first driver was wearing a military uniform (light blue shirt) Air Force or Coast Guard. He was a small built man with glasses and dark hair sprinkled with a few grey hairs - mid-thirties to late thirties. I would recognize him in an instant and will be on the look out.
rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 12:45pm
I agree that the driver was trying to make his morning travel easier and probably did not care that he was being inconsiderate (in other words being a jerk) to the sluggers'. If he rarely drives, he can probably get away with it, but posting the description of the car will definitely help to pass the word. Bad eggs like him can spoil the whole slugging system, and we can weed them out by spreading the word. (I do know what you mean about not thinking to take down the information at the time something is happening, but if we keep reminding each other to do this, we can make it very difficult, if not impossible for such a jerk not to get any riders.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic