Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pentagon Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tygger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentagon Questions
    Posted: 20 Oct 2004 at 9:52am
I'm new to slugging and will most likely become a driver. I've driven past the Pentagon a few times to get on to HOV after 6pm. Since I was not looking for sluggers at the time, I didn't notice any signs.

This site says there are 10 signs for the main locations. Where are they located? When I'm driving down Fern St going towards the Pentagon, I recall seeing a few people standing under the bypass. Are those the pick up points?

Once I go under the bypass, I make a right towards the HOV exit. I also recall seeing a shoulder to the right. I've never really paid attention... could this be the pickup spots?

Sorry for the questions. I read that the cops will give tickets for impeding traffic.

Sydenstricker would be my most convenient drop-off location. Is there a sign for this particular location and would there be any riders?

Thanks!!

tygger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tygger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2004 at 10:08am
One more question... If there isn't a line for Sydenstricker or enough riders, what would be the next best drop-off location? I live near the Sydenstricker drop-off from the Fairfax County pkwy. Thanks again!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2004 at 11:44am
Tygger,
Make a right turn off Fern onto South Rotary Rd. Go straight thru the stop signs and you will circle to the left. As you make that circle all the slug lines will be on your right. The afternoon Burke-Springfield slug line will be the last one you come to. The slugs in line there will be looking for rides to drop off points along Old Keene Mill Rd or the Springfield-Franconia and Fairfax County Parkways with "Bob's", Daventry, Rolling Valley Mall, and Sydenstricker as the most popular stops. There are usually plenty of riders at the Pentagon from 4 PM until 6 PM. I believe those people standing under the underpass are waiting for one o fht ecommuter busses to points south of Fairfax County. Hope this helps. [:)]
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2004 at 11:45am
I can't help you with the Sydenstricker questions but I can tell you that the folks that stand under the bypass are waiting for a charter bus (to Rt. 3 I think?) so they aren't slugs. The pick up points at the Pentagon are by the bus depots. Right before you make the right onto the HOV ramp look ahead and you will see a big white sign listing the slug destinations.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
tygger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tygger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2004 at 8:28am
Thanks for the replies.

Is there a Saratoga line? I read on here that there was a sign for Saratoga, but no one uses it.

Also, would the AM drop-off point at the Pentagon be the same as the pickup points?

sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2004 at 9:38am
Don't know anything about a Saratoga line. Saratoga is about a mile south of the parkway on Rolling Road.
Pentagon morning drop-off points are usually NOT the afternoon slug line locations. As you enter South Parking from the HOV ramp on Eads St you'll turn left onto South Roatry Rd just south of the Metro bus station, and most drivers drop off slugs after passing the Pentagon police guard shack either after making a left onto Fern Street or into south parking. Some drivers go straight at the shack and drop slugs near the Pentagon Corridor 2 or Corridor 3 entrances. Best advice is just follow the other cars off the HOV lanes to the Pentagon and you'll see what to do. Simple rule is to be heading away from the guard shack before you drop off slugs. From experience ... DON'T drop off slugs at, or just before, the guard shack. The Pentagon police don't like that at all. [:)]
NoNo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 1:53pm
Ugh. Why can't the Pentagon move the 610 lines? The cars have been backed up everyday for the past three weeks, all waiting for 610. No one can get around, and people have been using the parking lot to pick up slugs for the other two lines in that lane.

If you find yourself waiting at the 610 line, is it too much to ask that you pull forward, or even park closer to the curb? Some people waiting don't even extend the courtesy of NOT taking up the entire lane.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic