Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parking Fees in Stafford County

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2004 at 11:17am
Maybe I'm completely unobservant on this matter, but are there really THAT many people that are using the 610 lots that DON'T live in Stafford County? I didn't really think that is was that big of a problem and, therefore, would not bring in much revenue to the county if they enacted such a policy. I am inclined to think that some tollbooth set up at the entrance of the lot would just delay people from getting in the lots from lines created at the already pathetically planned lot entrances. Are there really that many people from other counties using the Stafford lots (espcially since Stafford is pretty much as far south as slugging goes (ex. Rt. 3)?
tondalea View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tondalea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2004 at 3:53pm
Mirangus, I dont think so. That may free up a few spots, but the real issue is that Stafford County is grower faster than VDOT can keep up with it.
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 2:34pm
Stafford and Spotsy have plenty of space in their lots. Some are just under-utilized and some are over-utilized. There are tons of people who live south of stafford that drive to the 610 lots and park. You'd be suprised by how many!! The lots south of 610 are usually considered "early" lots and in order to help fix this problem, we need to change that mentality. Otherwise the Stafford County government is going to come in and mess everything up. There are tons of spaces that aren't used at Route 17 and there are a ton of spaces at the old 610 lot in the newly built section. The Stafford County government can most certainly start charging these fees, they already do at some of the VRE lots. What they do there is make you put money on an envelope with your name and tag number and you put it in this safety box and then someone comes around during the day to collect the money and see whether or not you paid.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 5:24pm
This is a terrible idea. If the lots are built by VDOT with state money, then they should be available to all VA residents. If you want county specific lots then get your county to build them with county money.
You need to remember that even if further out people are parking in those lots, the people of Stafford are still gettting the benefit of fewer cars on I-95.
Do you really want a lot that the state paid for to be converted into a county government revenue source?
While you are at it why don't you get VDOT to turn over a section of I-95 to Stafford so they can charge out of county people for using the road.
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2004 at 10:59am
Wagonman, I had nothing to do with that decision. It was the Stafford County government that came up with that one. However, they are considering buying the lots from VDOT so that they would be county owned. Once they are owned by the county, they can charge whatever they want to park there. They aleady do this at the VRE lot on Leeland Road. Part of the reason they are doing this is because of the fact that Mine Road is overflowing due to the early slugs clogging it up instead of using the old 610 lot which has plenty of spaces in the newly built section. I would like to think that we as a slug community can work towards a solution before the county makes a move to start charging!!
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 10:16am
Slugbuddy.....when did Leeland Station start charging for VRE parking? I have taken the train out of there many times and never paid?
Jean B. View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 1:14pm
There have been [:)]alot of comments about cars from further south parking at the Stafford lots. There are also alot of DRIVERS who pick us up that have come from areas south of Stafford. They like the E-Z off and back on to I-95. They also like the idea that there are usually slugs waiting for their arrival.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2004 at 11:20am
Don't forget that soon there is going to be a new exit at about MM 136 on 95S. Perhaps they'll build another commuter lot there?? Or at least I can "really" hope...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic