Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

just recently moved

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: just recently moved
    Posted: 26 Oct 2004 at 3:47pm
I just moved to Burke from DC this weekend. I am interested in driving into the city and picking up people. I am not sure how the slug thing works ... any suggestions for my first day?

Malou
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2004 at 4:28pm
Yes, check out this site, it contains lots of info on slug line destinations and etiquette. If you still have questions feel free to ask.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2004 at 8:58pm
Check out the info on this site to see if this system works for you.

Since you live in Burke, you've got a few options. As a driver, you can pick up slugs at Rolling Valley Park & Ride off Old Keene Mill (closest to Burke) or pick up at Bob's (old Circuit City parking lot off Old Keene Mill across from Springfield Plaza). Both places have riders going to a number of destinations.

Again, check the info on this site to see what makes the most sense for you. Good luck.
Malou View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 5:25pm
Thank you! I am a student at Catholic University which is a bit far. I was thinking that I could drop people off at 14th & NY or is there a better place? Secondly, is it ok if I pick people up if I am not entirely sure where I am going yet (meaning would they be able to help me) or should I really learn the area before I try? (I am unsure where to get onto I395/95 in the HOV lanes..

thank you,
Malou
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 7:48pm
Ask your slugs. When I was a new driver in the slug system, slugs helped me greatly. As a slug, I've helped guide new drivers. Works both ways...good luck.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 7:49pm
I don't know how popular 14th and NY is as a destination - perhaps someone else can answer that. There are other stops along 14th Street, ie at Constitution, the Reagan Bldg, that seem to have a steady flow of riders.

My personal opinion is that it is NOT ok to pick up people without knowing your destination. You could try saying 14th street, and people would then ask how far up 14th you go. Then you can negotiate and give them the option of riding. Look at the maps on this site to see your options along 14th.

You can get on the HOV lanes from Old Keene Mill. Most riders will help you if you explain in advance that you're new at this.
Malou View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 3:55pm
Don't worry I was planning on specifying a desination. I picked 14th & NY b/c I would take NY Ave to N. Capitol. However, are there more people that go to L'Enfant Plaza...I wanted to avoid Constitution b/c it is a parking lot during rush hour.

I am just unsure of how to get on HOV lanes at Old Keene Mill rd and the exact drop off points at the locations I chose. But if Slugs are going to help me out that will be perfect.

Thank you.
sharonji27 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharonji27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 4:50pm
Slugs will be willing to help you. I usually pick up for 14th and sometimes I take people going to other locations when I am running late and slugs are always helpful.

In reference to picking up for 14th. Generally... people get out at different corners as you go up 14th which means they may get out at Constitution but you could keep going up 14th to NY Ave. You would just need to specify how far you are willing to go up.

I am also a student at Catholic and work on 14th as another option for driving you could go up 14th to Harvard which dead ends into Michigan right near Children's Hospital.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic