Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why not HOV-4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2004 at 5:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by Stuck2
[br]Keep HOV 3, nix the exemptions, and ditch the HOT lane proposal. Also toss in DC, VA and MD constructively timing the traffic lights to help with traffic flow, and closing HOV at Edsall and Pentagon.

Closing HOV at Edsall is not necessary! I have commented on this on another thread. There are many that carpool from Skyline or surrounding area, and having that entrance point is worthwhile so you don't always have to back-track to the Pentagon, or drive all the way down to Springfield.

Until the law allowing single drivers to currently enter from there and exit those first two Springfield exits changes, there will always be that extra traffic. Once the construction finishes, and the law changes, then you advertise the change and enforce HOV-3 compliance.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2004 at 7:28am
Just wondering .. has there been a study on how much of an increase in housing development and resulting increased HOV use would result from extending HOV lanes to Freddie-burg or Spotsy County or even further south? Extending the lanes might make HOV demand and congestion as bad or maybe worse than it is now. [?]
Tonka Truck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonka Truck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 1:44pm
Who remembers the bumper stickers (Restore HOV-4)?
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2004 at 2:42pm
I-66 inside the Beltway was originally HOV-4 when it opened just before Christmas in 1982, but NOBODY used it during rush hour for the reasons some folks have noted here about it being too hard to maintain a four-person carpool (slugging never took off out that way and was nascent on I-95 as well back then). It was changed to HOV-3 fairly quickly, I think by early 1984 although I cannot recall when. (I remember the picture of the HOV-3 sign in the Post with a tagline saying "A Sign the Rules Are Easing.") The road was still underutilized and in March 1995 they changed it to HOV-2, which still works pretty well on I-66 in my experience (talking only the inside-the-Beltway part....the left HOV lane outside the Beltway isn't so good).

The history of HOV on Shirley Highway (I-95/395) is different. The idea for the express lanes first surfaced in 1964; they were completed from Springfield to downtown DC in 1971 (although the northern end took a bit longer to be opened fully because the Pentagon "Mixing Bowl" interchange was being rebuilt). At the time these lanes were solely for buses, but this was a waste of money, so in late 1973--at the time of the first Arab oil embargo--they allowed buses and 4-person carpools. (The term "HOV" first surfaced when I-66 opened inside the Beltway.) HOV-3 took effect in January 1989--several years after it began on I-66. I seem to recall that one of the arguments made at the time was that it was a success on I-66 and would likewise work well on I-95/395. The motorcycle exemption started in 1992.

I also seem to recall something along the lines of what user "fed up" states up above about Stan Parris's bill being the first time that the express lanes were open to all traffic at non-rush hour--previously it was always HOV-4. Does anyone else remember this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic