Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOV Lanes Crumbling Apart!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV Lanes Crumbling Apart!?
    Posted: 18 Nov 2004 at 10:00am
What is going on with the crumbling pavement in the HOV lanes? I have written VDOT about it - no response yet. I can't imagine how they will look after the first sleet/snow/ice sets down. There are widening cracks, potholes, uneven "new pavement". Who is maintaining the lanes - they have better roads in Falluja! Is this part of the plan that once HOT Lanes come - THEN they will get taken care of??
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2004 at 12:09pm
There are a couple of things here. First, VDOT did repair one of the worst spots a while back and it caused some major traffic backups. So I dont know what their plan is on the other bad spots.

Second, one of the aspects of the 395 HOT proposal that some people are not aware of is that they are going to have to re-surface/ pave over the existing road. The reason is that this would have to be done to accommodate 3 lanes. (Heaven Forbid). Thus, one does wonder whether VDOT is dragging their feet because they think HOT will get built. Or at the very least, do the absolute minimum to make the road passable.
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2004 at 5:05pm
Inside of the Beltway, Fluor proposes to replace the shoulders with full-strength asphalt pavement, but not to resurface the existing road. I'll bet VDOT will repave the existing roadway at a cost but that will be another contract and who better to do it than the current contractor converting the lanes.

Clark doesn't even propose to convert 395.

Goober
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 7:48am
I don't think the pavement is bad at all. But I think it depends on what car you're in since I remember driving a rental car and hearing/feeling every crease in the pavement.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic