Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A slug gone wild!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A slug gone wild!
    Posted: 30 Dec 2004 at 12:04pm
The Goob is not a caveman. I might be a little "gooberish", but always sincere. Happy New Year.

Goober
SJS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2004 at 11:57am
Roadrunner, you are killing me. I NEVER GOT DIRECTLY BEHIND HER. I STOOD BEHIND THE BAGS, She was first, and the bags were 2 & 3. I was always 4th and minding my own business. While she was doing all this screaming and foaming at the mouth,(and I might add, I was expecting her head to start spinning like Carrie's), I was minding my own business and trying to ignore her. My whole point to the story was she acted like a nut and that type of behavior could affect the slug line in a negative manner.

Yes, I do arrive at the Rt. 17 lot at 4:30 each morning and usually get a ride within 5-20 minutes and believe it or not, cars know we are there and if we are not out of our cars, they will pull in and wait a minute or two for us to wake up. They are very nice and very much appreciated. I begin work @ 6:00.

Anyway, I am sincere too when I wish you and all my fellow slugs a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year. Take care and PEACE! Just got word that they are letting us leave at noon. Yee Haw!

SJS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2004 at 11:06am
Just what we need screaming slugs wishing accidents and death on fellow human beings and now Goober the cavemen!!! Let's just agree to disagree over the bags holding your place although I will continue in my lack of common sense to do it!
Happy New Year to all.[:)]
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2004 at 10:56am
From my interpretation of the story, the men got back into line, then the car approached. So, these men either forced the lady behind them or the lady still stood first in line, but the men got to the car first? Whatever the case, as RoadRunner said, you can't use objects to hold your place in line -- c'mon, this is only common sense.

If I had an inkling that those two men would get in front of me, I first would have toppled those briefcases and made sure they got back in line.

Goober

P.S. SJS, I did not see your second post until after I posted. I had no idea that using objects as place holders was an accepted practice. I've never seen this before, but then again, I'm never at the slug lines at 4:30AM? (but I still think it's wrong).
SJS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2004 at 10:46am
Roadrunner, to clarify...for as long as I have been slugging (5 years)it has been acceptable to use objects to hold your place in line. Since I usually get to the slug line in the AM @ 4:30 and it is a few minutes before anyone else arrives (actually one lady arrives at 3:30), we put our bags in line and wait in our cars until another person arrives and then get out of our cars. Why in the world should we stand there when nobody else is around? BUT as I said...as soon as anyone else arrives, we get out and stand in line. This has been acceptable for as long as I have been slugging not only at 17 but also 610. I actually arrived @ 610 one morning and there were 8 bags in front of me but as soon as they saw me they got out of their cars.
And, the gentlemen's bags were not unattended...they were less than 10 feet away and had visual contact at all times. Also, you seemed to misunderstand our line sequence. Evidently the bags were there when she arrived and she decided to go in front of them. I arrived after her and got behind her and then bags (so I was actually the 4th in line at all times). No way anyone would perceive that I cut in front of them. AND the gentlemen stepped into the line BEFORE the ride actually came, so they were standing there when the car pulled up.

As for my ride home with her, in an effort to shorten my story, I did leave out some of her initial derogatory statements to our driver about the other slug's weight, etc. before she turned on the charm and then thankfully fell asleep about halfway home.

Your suggestions for resolving this issue if it ever arises again will certainly be helpful in case I am ever caught in the crossfire again. [^]

Thanks!
SJS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2004 at 8:17am
As I walked up to the Route 17 line at the Pentagon yesterday, there were two briefcases on the sidewalk in front of me. I looked behind me and saw the owners standing in front of the barriers talking so I knew they were in line. However, the young lady (and I use the term loosely) in front of the briefcases told me to disregard them and get behind her. I told her that the bags were place markers and the two gentlemen were right there. She responded that she didn't care, she had gotten in front of the bags and if the owners were not standing in line like the rest of us, they were not in line and were out of luck. At this point I chose to ignore her and stay behind the bags. The gentlemen returned to the line and when a car approached, it was their turn and they started to enter the car. At this point the young lady started screaming and cussing at them that it was her turn and they were cutting in line. They assured her that they were not but she was not to be deterred. She started screaming that they were cheating and that she hoped they had a car accident on the way home and both of them died and went to hell. By this time, both of the car doors were open and she is still ranting and raving about them dying and going to hell. At this point, she was totally out of control and shouted that she didn't want the driver to get hurt in an accident, only the slugs. The female driver looked very apprehensive (wouldn't you?). One of the slugs entering the car turned around to her and told her to be quiet and not say another word. Her response to this was to laugh in a loud and high pitch cross between a laugh and a shrill scream (reminded me of the witch in Wizard of OZ). Several minutes later, I had the displeasure of riding in the next car with her and could not believe it when she got in the front seat and was just as nice and polite as she could be. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde came to mind. During the trip home, she told the driver that she and her husband had been slugging since August[?]. Too bad I did not have a copy of slug etiquette to share with her. In my 5 years of slugging, I have never encountered anything like this and hope to never encounter it or her again![V] To give her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she had a bad day and she had never acted like this before and will never act like this again, but if that is not the case, we do not need slugs like this giving us all a bad name. But more importantly we do not need slugs like this scaring away drivers and messing up our system[:(] [B)]. What was she thinking???? Watch out for this lady. White female, skinny, long dark hair, glasses, and sharp facial features. She said she usually gets in the line @ 6:00 AM. Hopefully you will not be her next victim.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic