Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThis is how to lift the Hybrid exemption !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronsray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2005 at 9:10pm
from the Washington Post chat:

Woodbridge, Va.: Ms. Morris: Could you specifically address the question of eliminating the exemption prior to 2006? It was asked earlier but your answer did not seem to address that.
Is there at all a possibility that the exemption could be repealed prior to the Jul 2006 expiration? Thanks

Joan Morris: The General Assembly which goes into session next week would have to introduce/pass legislation for it to happen before july 2006. Contact your delegate or senator! And the Governor
defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2005 at 10:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by ronsray
[br]Have you done your part & emailed the Governor Yet ???[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][?]

Thanks to various writers, there have been several articles on the breakdown of the HOV lanes in Northern Virginia. Most noted what thousands of car-pooling Northern Virginia commuters already know; if you want to legally cheat HOV-3, buy a so-called hybrid. If you want to defeat HOV, you may also buy a hybrid.

The legislators may have intended well by allowing hundreds small, “clean fuel” cars onto the HOV-3. However, the hundreds have multiplied to be thousands and now include full-sized LPG fueled trucks, CNG fueled Crown Victorias, and conventionally fueled, Ford Excape SUVs. Almost to a vehicle, these run through a legal loophole and onto the HOV-3 with “room for five, while ridden by one.”

This week, we are at a critical point. Our Legislators, particularly those who chair or sit on transportation sub-committees, need to understand how bad the daily commute has become, and why HOV is critically ill. The sickness is rooted in one cause. However, we have a simple and effective cure.

The Virginia Legislators needs to excise the cancer from the HOV. They need to END ALL EXCEPTIONS THAT ALLOW SOLO DRIVERS IN THESE LANES. Overnight, we will gain a potential to move 4,000 additional commuters without putting another car on the road. Ending the exceptions will decrease overall pollution by putting multiple commuters in the existing clean fuel vehicles. It will relieve HOV congestion. Best yet, it will do this at no additional cost to the taxpayer.

Fuller Underwood II
cthomas25 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cthomas25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2005 at 3:24pm
Someone on another forum posted the message below. I hope they don't mind me posting it on under this topic. [:I] I think it's important for everyone to see this. [8)]

Del. Michele Mcquigg has posted a survey on her web site about the issue. Let your feelings be known at: http://www.mcquigg.com/survey_hybridhov.asp
Man of Reason View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 2:06pm
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]Ahhhh, but hybrids will get better mileage in the regular lanes than in the HOV lane because they get better mileage under city-type driving (stop-n-go, slower speeds) than highway. There's the irony and the hyprocrisy.

Ronin718 must be a zealot disciple of Waggonman and his "but hybrid emissions are worse than non-hybrids" cult....btw Waggonman, I went to get my emissions checked for my Civic-hybrid a couple of weeks ago…The gas station sent me away…said there isn’t enough emissions to register on the test and because of this the State doesn’t require it for hybrids (not sure if I trust it but that's what they said) …
I think you better fire off another letter to Warner about this[:)]

Ronin718, Honda's do better in highway driving vs. stop in go/lower speeds...It's the Toyotas who do better in stop and go traffic....which using your logic means Honda's shoudl stay in the hov lanes. Thanks for your support[:)]

Waggonman, fyi here’s the latest from the American Council for Energy-Efficient Economy….You have tunnel vision with this emission thing which is why your perceived fullproof argument against hybrids falls apart …It’s the “Kwan” that matters; the combination of emissions and fuel economy….That's what separates hybrids...not to mention the technologies spawned from increased demand that will eventually transfer to conventional vehicles down the road..
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6969339/
Top 5
1. Honda Civic GX
2. Honda Insight
3. Toyota Prius
4. Honda Civic Hybrid
5. Toyota Corolla (non-hybrid)

Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2005 at 10:56pm
quote:
Originally posted by Man of Reason
[br]

Waggonman, I went to get my emissions checked for my Civic-hybrid a couple of weeks ago…The gas station sent me away…said there isn’t enough emissions to register on the test and because of this the State doesn’t require it for hybrids (not sure if I trust it but that's what they said) …
I think you better fire off another letter to Warner about this[:)]

Waggonman, fyi here’s the latest from the American Council for Energy-Efficient Economy….You have tunnel vision with this emission thing which is why your perceived fullproof argument against hybrids falls apart …It’s the “Kwan” that matters; the combination of emissions and fuel economy….That's what separates hybrids...not to mention the technologies spawned from increased demand that will eventually transfer to conventional vehicles down the road..
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6969339/
Top 5
1. Honda Civic GX
2. Honda Insight
3. Toyota Prius
4. Honda Civic Hybrid
5. Toyota Corolla (non-hybrid)

Your gas station attendant is making stuff up. The reason that hybrids don't get tested is that they'd require a totally different test and the state hasn't spent the time and money figuring one out yet. Hybrids are(were) such a small percentage of cars that it isn't a priority. Same thing goes for diesel cars. Or do you think its because diesel cars also put out so little pollution that it wouldn't register?

As per your comments about the ACEEE. You need to read their methodology in order to understand their ratings. They give equal weight to greenhouses gases as compared to all other air pollutants combined. This skews the results heavily towards high mileage cars. We can estimate the costs associated with regulated air pollutants, we can't with greenhouses gases. Assuming that greenhouse gases will cost as much as all other air pollutants combined is highly suspect in my opinion. In other words, their ratings are crap! Is that what "kwan" means, crap? Just image how much further ahead the CNG car would be is mileage wasn't so unfairly weighted.

I have been in contact with Jim Kliesch of the ACEEE and here is a quote. "So while we're not intentionally hiding the fact that the non-PZEV version of the Civic Hybrid is a bin 9 vehicle, I agree, Honda should be taken to task for making such a fuel efficient vehicle with mediocre tailpipe emissions."

So in the words of someone from the ACEEE, the Civic Hybrid has MEDIOCRE emissions! Something else you may find interesting, bin 9 is going to be eliminated at the end of model year 2006. That means, the Civic hybrid and Insight that are currently sold in Virginia would be too dirty to be sold in 2007. Doesn't that tell you something? Is these cars are so deserving of clean fuel plates how is it that they'd be considered too dirty to sell in only a couple years?

I also admit to your accusation of having tunnel visions with the emissions ratings. I think any car that gets "clean fuel" plates should be clean. Call me crazy!

One last thought, going by the ACEEE green scores do the hybrids all have scores more than triple all other cars? How about double? Nope! So why should they be in the HOVs when their "cleanness" doesn't make up for not having the required 2 or 3 passengers?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic