Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSUV vs Hybrid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SUV vs Hybrid
    Posted: 14 Jan 2005 at 9:40am
Informal survey of slugs is that most own a SUV. Have to question the bias against the environment - no wonder there is such anti-Hybrid sentiment!

Not sure that kicking Hybrids out of HOV lanes is going to solve the OVERALL congestion problem. If population in the area increases, and jobs in DC increase, then congestion with or without Hybrids remains a problem. Possible solution is to make it illegal for ANY gas guzzler to be on the interstate. That solves both the congestion and pollution problem.
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2005 at 10:33am
Hybrids having only 1 person and not 3 certainly doesnt help anything.

-Rob
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2005 at 12:04pm
Hey NoSUV: my old 4Runner gets about the same mileage as a Taurus and I need it for both my job and my volunteer work.

Informal survey by the Sponge: most high-bred owners are self-righteous anti-social nits who only bought their cars to drive solo on HOV and couldn't really care less about the "environment." How's that for stereotyping?

If, as you baldly assert, most slugs own SUV's, then ain't we nice? Slugs leave their cars in parking lots and share a ride to work... what do you share besides your ill-informed opinion?

Finally, congestion is created by vehicles, not passengers. A van with six passengers takes up about the same roadspace as a Prius. Solo drivers of any kind do not belong in HOV lanes.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2005 at 3:50pm
NoSUV,
How come the Acura MDX gets lower emissions than most of the hybrids (most are still Civics)? It's an SUV and has a V6 even. What's up with that? Don't those hybrid owners care about the environment?
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2005 at 5:29pm
It sounds to me like SpongeBob is being hypocritical at best in calling hybrid owners "self-righteous." Don't you think you're being pretty damn self-righteous in your condemnation of the hybrid owners? (I will give you kudos, however, for using the phrase "couldn't care less" correctly, as opposed to the popular idiotic oxymoron "could care less.")

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a debate, but flame wars accomplish nothing productive for either side.

(Edited because of a typo.)
gj View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2005 at 11:59am
Re: "Informal survey of slugs is that most own a SUV".

Where did you come up with that? By asking sluggers? Just wondering, because an informal scan of the commuter lots shows that most vehicles parked there are not SUVs.

gj
hurelycove View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hurelycove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2005 at 2:37pm

I drive an SUV because it does everything I need without having to own two vehicles. I use it for towing my trailer and boat, taking trash to the landfill, going to WV, driving in mud/snow, you name it and I also have to use it to go to work and I pick up two people every day or meet people at the lot. It's a V6 and gets same mileage as most med size cars. Bugs me when people knock SUVs without really knowing the people who drive them. You can't even get out of my driveway in the winter without 4WD... [:D]
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2005 at 10:30am
USA, this whole thread is a flame war! Look at it!

And, no, I am not being hypocritical. Condemnation is not hypocrisy unless one has committed the sin one is condemning. You can say I'm being unpleasant, or rude, or stupid, mean, inconsiderate, abrasive, aggressive, unhelpful, or downright wrong, but you cannot say that I am being hypocritical.

Most of the time on this board I try to be trustworthy, brave, helpful, clean, reverent, etc., but the Smugs are out of control. My God, you'd think each one had personally saved the planet!

I'm not perfect, either, but I have worked as an environmental activist, and I have walked the walk. I have also studied global warming and worked to alleviate it. What I learned is that Slogans are Easy, Reality is Hard. The consequences of behavior are far more complex than the simple solutions proferred by massive international auto corporations painting themselves Green and offering you a brush to do the same.

The big companies want you to think that pollution is somehow YOUR fault, that the solution is to change the habits of consumers. Meanwhile, businesses spend millions lobbying against pollution laws, and a single soot-belching dumptruck does more environmental harm in one week than all the gas a hybrid owner saves in a year.

There is nothing wrong with trying to be part of the solution, but to act like a holier-than-thou clean air purist, as Smugs do, hiding their selfish actions behind the facade of "environmentalism"... now THAT is hypocritical.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic