Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An email from Michelle McQuigg :(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2005 at 5:14pm
Ouuuch! You da man, Sponge.
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2005 at 8:16pm
He's not just yellow and absorbent (does he happen to live in a pineapple under the sea?), the Sponge is also a debater extraordinaire.
hondu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hondu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2005 at 9:40pm
It's really so simple Hybrid folk; JUST SHARE YOUR RIDE. My gasoline- only powered Civic gets 38mpg and I have two or three others with me - do the math - that's 154mpg most mornings and 114mpg most afternoons - so if you're riding solo your 48/51 aint no big thing. Even the big beasts out there getting 15mpg are up in your league when they're carrying three riders.

As a driver for eight years now I can honestly tell you it really isn't a big deal having to pick up folks before every commute and drop them off, right along your route going into work in the am then coming home in the pm.

You've got great cars; they're doing good things for the air we breath and the resources we all covet. I'll most likely be driving one at this time next year. It's just all so simple - again - JUST SHARE YOUR RIDE!
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 7:11am
Well, here's another log to toss on the high-bred bonfire -- just how green are those vehicles when the entire package is considered? What happens to those battery packs when they eventually have to be changed out or the car is disposed? What is the recyclable content? Do they have something like Volvo's PremAir (r) (http://new.volvocars.com/whyvolvo/why_standard_envir.asp#) that actually converts low level ozone to oxygen? Maybe Volvo owners (98 and up) should be given an exemption given the ozone problems the DC metropolitan area seems to regularly have (<-- spoken with tongue firmly planted in cheek). You see, this is as specious an argument as that fomented by the high-breds re. gaining a pass for their "environmental benefits"

- Will
Road Warrior View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 8:29am
quote:
I am a resident of Stafford County ... I am a strong advocate of extending the hybrid exemption in one form or another. It has given me and thousands of other residents in Virginia the ability to participate in family & community activities that would otherwise be missed (e.g. children after school activities & games, community association meetings) while continuing to work a (fairly) normal work day.

Man of Reason,

If you have activities to attend, then I suggest you adjust your work hours and leave home earlier to get to work earlier and thus be able to leave work earlier to get home earlier.

We all have made the decision to have a farther commute to work to be able a have an "affordable" home to live in. You moved to Stafford with the knowledge that you had 50 mile (+/-) one-way commute. I live in Spotsylvania County south of Massaponax and my commute is 65 miles one-way. While I do not have children and after school activities & games, community association meetings to attend, I do have a life beyond work and I made the personal decision to leave home at 5:30 am so that I am able to leave work at 3:30 pm and thusly be able to be at home around 5:00 pm on most days.

Your suggestion is self-centered and was not presented as a solution to solve the ever increasing problem of HOV congestion.

quote:
[i]
Consider adding an MPG stipulation that hybrids must meet/exceed 48 mpg city/51 highway. There are a number of new hybrids coming on line in the next two years. While they are ULEV and have higher MPG relative to other vehicles in their class, they do not meet the MPG standards set for current hybrids allowed in HOV lanes. Note that California has made similar adjustments to their hybrid and HOV rules (To qualify for the CA state-level HOV and toll breaks, hybrid cars have to get at least 45 miles per gallon and meet strict emission standards. It also sets a limit on the total number of exemptions);

Why should only hybrids get an exemption based on MPGs??? My car (a VW diesel) gets 48-50 MPG WITH three riders at 65-70 MPH. When riding by myself and cruising at 65-75 MPH, I average over 50 MPG.

Shouldn't I be eligible to receive an exemption to ride by myself based on the EPA mileage ratings posting on the window sticker (38 City/49 Highway) when I bought the car?

Again, your suggestion is not only self-centered and was not presented as a solution to solve the ever increasing problem of HOV congestion, it is discriminatory.

quote:
[i]Discontinue exemptions for single passenger vehicle use of HOV lanes through the Springfield Interchange (¡§Mixing Bowl¡¨). This exemption was instituted to facilitate travel while the Interchange was under construction. Now that it is mainly completed, the exemption is no longer warranted or needed;

First of all, this only pertains to the afternoon rush hour and it is not a problem. Unless there is an "incident" in the HOV lanes or the HOV "Lookie Loo's" are slowing down to see something in the regular lanes, letting single riders use the HOV for <3 miles is not the problem.

Instead of trying to recommend ways to continue the problem of HOV congestion, why don't you figure out a way to ease the congestion.

Done...
For now....

John
mfassler View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfassler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2005 at 11:18am
Man of Reason---you MUST be insane. I hope your Hybrid breaks down and you never drive on our roads again. I too, live in Stafford and drive to/from DC EVERY DAY. And unless you are on STRONG medication, then you must have serious issues.

Who do you think you are? Why are you SO selfish?? I agree with your request to extend the HOV restriction hours. Wholeheartedly. But how many times and how many ways can we say it?? HOV lanes are for HIGH OCCUPANCY VEHICLES. That's why they're called HOV/CARPOOL lanes. If you don't carpool, what the heck are you doing on OUR roads? If you can't pick up carpoolers, or you can't drive in the regular lanes, then please, stay home, miss your family events or whatever...and we'll have NO pity for you.

The HOV-4 initiative is STRONGLY growing, and when ADDED to the bills which would remove Hybrids (which are NOT clean fuel, as they still use gasoline), law enforcement, and motorcycles off of the HOV unless they too had 4 riders will be the ONLY saving grace of commuting in the Washington, DC/I-95 corridor.

You, and your Hybrid, can stay in Stafford and stay off OUR roads until you become one of "us" by starting a carpool or picking up slugs.

GET OVER YOURSELF!!

quote:
Originally posted by Man of Reason
[br]I would encourage all hybrid owners to contact these same representatives noted in this thread to let them know that you are STRONGLY in favor of HB 99 and 1106.

Also note that although the "FHWA" may be against hybrid - 1 in hov (although I kind of feel cedercitynative is exagerating here) , Congress and the Bush Administration is in favor of legislative language that gives states the authority to make this determination.

MESSAGE TO ALL HYBRID OWNERS THAT TRACK SLUG-LINE:
Please implore all hybrid owners you know to monitor this site...If the Washington Post is going to use this one-sided forum as a barometer re: sentiment toward hybrids, then please make a statement here in favor of continued hybrid/hov use in addition to contacting your fed/state representatives.

Recently, I sent the following letter to my state/federal representatives:

I am a resident of Stafford County and was hoping to get an update on where any current or proposed legislation stands regarding extending the hybrid vehicle exemption on HOV lanes in Virginia, which ends after July 1, 2006. I am a strong advocate of extending the hybrid exemption in one form or another. It has given me and thousands of other residents in Virginia the ability to participate in family & community activities that would otherwise be missed (e.g. children after school activities & games, community association meetings) while continuing to work a (fairly) normal work day. In addition, the environmental impact of replacing high MPG/ultra low emission vehicles with ¡§clean fuel¡¨ substitutes, both socially and in terms of its impact on the environment, has been extremely beneficial to Northern Virginia as a whole. Has there been any other environmental law passed in recent memory that has met its objective so effectively??
That said, I understand the need to keep HOV lanes moving in order to maintain our current commuting system. And I am aware of recent recommendations made to VDOT by the Virginia transportation task force appointed to assess the state of HOV lanes with Hybrid use (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54561-2005Jan6.html). In light of the above, I believe some compromise positions/rule changes regarding the exemption for hybrids should STRONGLY be considered instead of eliminating completely one of the most effective pieces of environmental legislation in Virginia history;

„« Consider moving to HOV ¡V 2 for Hybrids. This would effectively eliminate the incentive on I-66 but it¡¦s a compromise to the HOV ¡V 3 rule for non-hybrids on I ¡V 95. In this way, the State would still be offering an incentive to its residents to continue the purchase of clean fuel technology. As a hybrid owner, it would be an additional inconvenience but one I think is worth it in order to continue this incentive. It would also put Virginia in compliance with Federal rules regarding use of HOV lanes;

„« Consider adding an MPG stipulation that hybrids must meet/exceed 48 mpg city/51 highway. There are a number of new hybrids coming on line in the next two years. While they are ULEV and have higher MPG relative to other vehicles in their class, they do not meet the MPG standards set for current hybrids allowed in HOV lanes. Note that California has made similar adjustments to their hybrid and HOV rules (To qualify for the CA state-level HOV and toll breaks, hybrid cars have to get at least 45 miles per gallon and meet strict emission standards. It also sets a limit on the total number of exemptions);

„« Consider extending HOV hours in order to distribute traffic more evenly, in conjunction with other changes recommended;

„« Discontinue exemptions for single passenger vehicle use of HOV lanes through the Springfield Interchange (¡§Mixing Bowl¡¨). This exemption was instituted to facilitate travel while the Interchange was under construction. Now that it is mainly completed, the exemption is no longer warranted or needed;

„« Intensify the States (and regions) telecommuting campaign, particularly with the Federal Government. The bottom line in the Metropolitan Washington region is that employment and population will grow above the national average over the next 10 years (and beyond) and our commuting system cannot accommodate current transportation demands let alone those brought on by future growth in the region (not to mention the additional environmental impact this will have). The technology is readily available to allow for a secure work environment at home (for 1 or 2 days a week. I believe you still need to be in the office the majority of the time). The potential benefits are endless and make miniscule the potential risks involved (e.g. benefits include lower costs to the government, decentralization of work makes the area a ¡§harder target¡¨ for terrorists to attack and of course the numerous benefits of having fewer commuters on the road). Yet Federal agencies continue to stonewall employee requests off-site work arrangements.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

mfassler View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfassler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2005 at 11:18am
THAT'S EXACTLY MY POINT!! WAY TO GO HONDU!!!

quote:
Originally posted by hondu
[br]It's really so simple Hybrid folk; JUST SHARE YOUR RIDE. My gasoline- only powered Civic gets 38mpg and I have two or three others with me - do the math - that's 154mpg most mornings and 114mpg most afternoons - so if you're riding solo your 48/51 aint no big thing. Even the big beasts out there getting 15mpg are up in your league when they're carrying three riders.

As a driver for eight years now I can honestly tell you it really isn't a big deal having to pick up folks before every commute and drop them off, right along your route going into work in the am then coming home in the pm.

You've got great cars; they're doing good things for the air we breath and the resources we all covet. I'll most likely be driving one at this time next year. It's just all so simple - again - JUST SHARE YOUR RIDE!

bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2005 at 9:53am
I had to respond to this. While I commend the Hybrid owners for taking a step forward to helping cut air pollution you still contribute to the overall traffic pollution by continually driving by yourselves. Let's face it MOST of you didn't really buy the Hybrid for the gas savings, tax write offs or the environment in the DC area. MOST bought them for the convience of traveling HOV whenever you want.
I support this law change and believe that the HOV rules should apply to all who use them. The Hybrid technically does not really meet the Federal Governments requirement of "Zero Emissions" to actively take advantage of the Clean Air Act guidelines. Each year the Fed has been extending the Hybrids exemption because they HAVE been helping in places such as LA. They have threatened that this exemption will end and the state will be the one to suffer because the Fed will pull funds allocated for repairs until the state complies. Bottom line there needs to be no exemptions. HOV-3 means H-O-V-3.
My first post and my .02.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic