Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Herndon to DC to Rosslyn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herndon to DC to Rosslyn
    Posted: 25 Jan 2005 at 10:08pm
Hi guys
just moved to Herndon and got a job in DC
trying to figure out a way to goto DC using slug lines
anyone who uses this regularly can contact me or guide me one day just to use the buses or slug lines. dont want to be late for my first day of work :)
Rubeel
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 7:11am
rubeel,
Welcome to the slugging community. You will see that most of the postings on this message board are about slugging on I-95 and I-395, but there are occasional postings about slugging from the west along I-66 and the Dulles Toll Road. Hopefully some good slugs and drivers from the Herndon area will see your question and share their slugging info with you. Good luck. Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 9:08am
rubeel... I used to do the same run before I found a job in Sterling. It was a lot easier being a driver than a rider, but when the system worked, it worked. Get your rides out of the Herndon-Monroe lot. Slugs are picked up on the opposite side of the shelter from the 980 stop. This gives folks flexibility in case time gets short and they have to grab the bus. Most drivers seem to go to Rosslyn, but you might find some (like I was doing) who go into DC. Otherwise, you end up taking Metro in from Rosslyn.

The big downside to the H-M to Rosslyn/DC slug line is the afternoon run didn't work. That's another reason to park at H-M. While you might get lucky to get a ride in the morning, you'll have to do the Metro/980 run back out.

Good luck!!!
monroeslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monroeslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 4:46pm
Hi Rubeel,
I have been driving in and picking up slugs around 8:15 generally. I go into Rosslyn. There are at least a few other drivers around 8:00 as well. It helps to have a sign and wait over by the crosswalk in the kiss and ride lane. The slugging is easier in the summer when it isn't so cold because you may have to wait 10+ minutes. I was a rider until my company finally started paying for my parking downtown. There were occasional days when I didn't find a ride but most of the time I was able to. Fridays are usually the days when you are less likely to find a ride. I have also been taking phone numbers of people I give rides to in the AM to try and offer them rides on the way home. Because of the 980 line there is an almost endless supply of slugs so drivers usually dont mind taking a whole car full down to Rosslyn. Don't hesitate to jump out of the bus line when you see someone with a Rosslyn sign in their window pull up.

Good Luck!
ralbritton View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralbritton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2005 at 3:15pm
Rubeel,

Welcome to Herndon commuting. The advice you've received here is spot on. Generally, the people I pick up in Herndon are standing in the 980 bus line. If they don't see a commuter car by the time they get on the bus, they can take the 980 to W. Falls Church Metro and metro in from there. Because I work in Crystal City, I generally drop of my slugs at Rosslyn. It saves them about $3 one way overall, the cost of the 503(?) bus straight into Rosslyn, and they don't have to stand.

My timeframe is usually around 7:15. I'm one of those that likes to chat and have had some great conversations about everything from beach houses in Bethany to the US effort in Afghanistan to reduce the drug traffic.
balletgirl03 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balletgirl03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2005 at 3:57pm
Is anyone slugging from herndon earlier than 8am - 8:15? I work in crystal city as well and seeing that it takes forever to get there, just curious if anyone leaves before then.
Thanks
tv5girl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv5girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2005 at 12:23pm
Hi,
I am a producer for Fox 5 News. I am looking for a driver that crosses the 14th Street Bridge from VA to get to DC. If you do and would like to help us with a story we are doing on bridges please give me a call at (202) 895-3367. Also if you know anyone that crosses any of the following bridges (drivers preferred) they would work as well:
Francis Case Memorial, Frederick Douglas Memorial, or the 11th Street Bridge.

Thanks
agile View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2005 at 5:47pm
quote:
Originally posted by balletgirl03
[br]Is anyone slugging from herndon earlier than 8am - 8:15? I work in crystal city as well and seeing that it takes forever to get there, just curious if anyone leaves before then.
Thanks

I'm planning to start picking up sluggers this week from herndon to crystal city or rosslyn at about 730.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic