Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Enforcement -- Say it with eggs!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV Enforcement -- Say it with eggs!
    Posted: 12 Jul 2002 at 7:55am
Let me preface all this by saying that part of me (the side with the angel on my shoulder) says that this is all in jest, while another part of me (the side with the devil on my shoulder) says this is a perfect way to achieve a little street justice. OK, here it goes...since state police have too scarce of resources to monitor the HOV effectively, I thought of a brilliant idea on my commute into town this morning as I watched a multitude of HOV violators buzz along without penalty -- every driver and rider bring a dozen eggs with them to the slugline, and along the way everyone can have fun passing the time (particularly from those long routes like Rt. 3 and Rt. 17!) by pelting HOV offenders with eggs! I see many benefits for doing this:

1) Sweet, sweet revenge.
2) You are helping the police out by making violators more visible (what shade of paint is that? Eggshell? Da-dum-dum).
3) It's a pretty harmless way to express your disapproval considering all of those other nasty road rage incidents out there that involve guns and such. Eggs enable you to say, "Nice going, moron" with a smile!
4) No one will go to the police because they'll get charged a $75 "service fee" for making the complaint.
Violator: "Officer! Officer! My car got pelted with eggs on the HOV!"
Officer: "Really? You don't say. Hey, I see that you're by yourself. Here's your $75 ticket. Have a nice day!"
5) It will hopefully put a level of fear into violators that will exceed their fear of getting caught by police who are usually not there.

So grab a dozen and have some good ol' fun!

Have a good weekend everybody!

Kevin O.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2002 at 8:48am
I was about to suggest using paintball weapons to mark the offenders' vehicles, but that might bring live return fire from a member of the privileged class of law enforcement who are granted a special exception to the rules under which the rest of us, the downtrodden lumpen proletariat, live.

I think the devil made me post this.
Jah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2002 at 8:50am
VERRRY creative! I found that the more I read of your post, the better I felt - you're right - sweet, sweet revenge! I just may buy some extra eggs this weekend. A few years ago, I was on an Omni bus and the driver would get behind a violator and honk and flash his lights. This, too, may sound like he had a devil on one shoulder, but it definitely rattled the violator and the whole bus was cheering him on. I dare say, violators may think twice if they thought they would have to contend with irate people. The state police are missing out on some great revenue. It seems hard to believe that they can't spare personnel.
viper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2002 at 2:12pm
Great fantasy... not so great idea (escalatory possibilities are daunting).

Instead of giving something (i.e. eggs or paintball pellets), why not take something?... like a digital photo of each and every offender?!

If you include the date and time function of most digital cameras today you could email the offenders pictures to VDOT, State Police, or even put them on this website!
Thoughts?

kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2002 at 8:06am
Hmm...that's a pretty good idea, Viper. But I don't think taking pictures delivers the emotional high that highway terrorism provides. Seriously though, that is a good idea...I just wonder if it would actually result in a ticket. I suppose just taking a picture of an offender may cause them to freak out, lose control, and wreck. Hmmm...starting to sound worthwhile.

Kevin O.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic