Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA Hybrid Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Hybrid Question
    Posted: 09 Mar 2005 at 7:02am
Can hybrid vehicles with non-VA license plates use the HOV lanes with a single occupant during HOV restrictions? [?]
Anyone know exactly what the Va law says on this?
Reason is we saw two hybrids yesterday using the HOV lanes about 5 PM - a Toyota Prius with Tennessee plates and a Honda Civic with Florida plates. The Civic exited HOV ahead of us at Franconia-Springfield Pkwy and we were interested to see what the troopers would do if they were at the top of the exit ramp -- but they weren't. [:(]

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2005 at 8:55am
To my knowledge, no.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2005 at 10:55am
They are supposed to be ticketed the same as any other cheater. Same goes for hybrids with non-CF Virginia plates. I do not know if they ever do get tickets though.
tugboat View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2005 at 8:51am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]They are supposed to be ticketed the same as any other cheater. Same goes for hybrids with non-CF Virginia plates. I do not know if they ever do get tickets though.

They have as little a chance to get a ticket as all the other cheats in the express lanes.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2005 at 8:22am
MDC,

When I first purchased my hybrid in April 2003 it took about 30 days for my CF plates to arrive in the mail. In that time, I was pulled over 3-4 times at the Northbound Springfield HOV exit. Each time, I was told that I needed to get my CF plates to continue using the HOV lanes. Each time it was verbal ... never written ... no record. My guess is that they DO NOT get tickets ever ... unless they are from out of state.

ScarletLSG

p.s. I've since sold my hybrid, as we are PCS-ing in the very near future. You wouldn't believe how many DIEHARD slugs from THIS WEBSITE contacted me to purchase it!!
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2005 at 2:13pm
Why not ask the Troopers?
Division Seven Headquarters

Fairfax: 9801 Braddock Road (Route 620 in Fairfax County), 3.7 miles west of Interstate 495 (Beltway) near the main campus of George Mason University

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 10900, Fairfax Station, Virginia 22039-0900

Telephone: 703-323-4500; 1-800-572-4510

Area 45 Office (Counties of Arlington and Fairfax and the
Cities of Alexandria and Falls Church)

Arlington: 1426-A Columbia Pike

Mailing Address: 1426-A Columbia Pike, Arlington, Virginia 22204

Telephone: 703-521-5046

quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br]Can hybrid vehicles with non-VA license plates use the HOV lanes with a single occupant during HOV restrictions? [?]
Anyone know exactly what the Va law says on this?
Reason is we saw two hybrids yesterday using the HOV lanes about 5 PM - a Toyota Prius with Tennessee plates and a Honda Civic with Florida plates. The Civic exited HOV ahead of us at Franconia-Springfield Pkwy and we were interested to see what the troopers would do if they were at the top of the exit ramp -- but they weren't. [:(]

dickboyd@aol.com
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 5:40pm
Scarlet,

They just wanted to buy your hybrid to have a more fuel-efficient vehicle to transport them and their two slugs to and from downtown DC. [;)]

ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2005 at 8:36am
If that were ONLY true sluDgE!!

Again, I won't let loose on their identities, but some very vocal folks on this board weren't at all planning to continue slugging (until the exemption ends) with the car. Many made comments like ... "it will save me time, not having to stop at the slug lots" and "wellll, I MIGHT still pick up slugs, if I have time" Not one of the people that contacted me regarding my Hybrid sale indicated they would continue slugging full time with it.

You'll be happy though to know that I sold it to a guy that lives in Fredericksburg and works at Quantico. He's a Marine ... didn't have the highest offer, but I knew he would benefit from buying it most.

ScarletLSG
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic