Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedInitial Thoughts on Last Night's Town Hall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slclark2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Initial Thoughts on Last Night's Town Hall
    Posted: 15 Mar 2005 at 10:32am
Email I sent to: 'Stewart, Corey A.'; 'scott@scotthirons.com'; 'Del_BMarshall@house.state.va.us'; 'Del_Lingamfelter@house.state.va.us'; 'Del_Parrish@house.state.va.us'; 'delegate@va52.com'; 'district39@sov.state.va.us'; 'district36@sov.state.va.us'; 'district29@sov.state.va.us'; 'district28@sov.state.va.us'; 'Del_BMarshall@house.state.va.us'

Thanks to the Delegates, Senator O'Brien, and Scott for hosting last nights town hall. Although I could only stay until the Q&A began, I'd like to make a couple of points (although I imagine they were made at the Q&A session).

First, I firmly believe (even before I saw all the presentations) that if the HOV-3 rule was strictly applied (i.e., more police patrols, no exemptions, etc.), then all of this would be moot.

Second, I don't think anyone needs to spend hundreds of billions of dollars fix the congestion. In addition, I don't think that commuters would benefit. Take a look at Dulles tollroad. Just this morning I heard that it was jammed. And this AFTER increasing tolls by 25 cents to help fund the incredibly financially-irresponsible Metro system.

I can't believe that eventually, HOV would be come a full-bodied toll road in the future. With housing going through the roof, how many add'l commuters do you think will be on the roads? And these contractors think that 1-rider/car paying would HELP? Unbelievable. However, they are a business and they are trying to make a sale so I do understand where they are coming from. But still, someone is blowing smoke up my skirt.

Bottomline, it would be irresponsible for the delegates/congressman/senators to address this problem by trying an option that would cost Hundereds of Billions of dollars. At a minimum, it makes absolutely no sense. What should happen FIRST is to try the least expensive (and I believe most effective) manner first; THEN, think of the other alternatives. Cynical as I am, I believe that we will eventually have to pay for any road work but if that's the last alternative, I can live with it.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts on the subject. Again, thank you for hosting and being generous with your time.

Thanks!! Susan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic