Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I Reject a Rider?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 5:21pm
I have personally seen many people get upset when people do this. It is not good etiquette. The person next in line should get the next ride and that is a basic rule of etiquette since grade school. I have turned down riding with friends of mine because it wasn't my turn in line.
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2002 at 11:42am
This issue was raised in great detail earlier this year by yours truly...so it's interesting that it has reared it's ugly head again. I've come to terms with Mirangus' opinion in that according to the "rules" it is "accepted" in that it is covered as being etiquette "compliant". However, I can't deny that I still see the long faces and hear the groans when it actually happens (but not me though -- I'm at peace with it, as I said).

The issue really lies in the gray area (as they often do) of frequency. I think that for the most part, people can accept the fact that friends picking up friends ONCE IN A WHILE is acceptable. However, we all have our routines, and what is more likely to happen is a slug "crew" is more likely to be at the same place at the same time day after day after day.
This creates a situation in which a driver is picking out specific riders on a DAILY basis. Is this acceptable? No it is not. When this happens, what should be done is that this group of people should be encouraged to start a carpool together, and I think that this does indeed happen in these circumstances without the need of encouragement by others.

Now let's get back to the ONCE IN A WHILE part because I'm sure some of those who have already contributed to this string (names will be omitted) will say that it is NOT acceptable at ANY time, EVER. Well, let's get real for a second. I've been slugging for some time myself, and I've made quite a few friends with the other regulars. If a rapport/friendship is developed, is it realistic to expect friends to not ride together?

What about co-workers -- if you saw a co-worker of yours down the line are you really going to tell me that you're going to simply pick up other people just because they're at the front of the line and give your co-worker nothing more than a consolatory wave as you drive away? If you say "yes, by God, in the name of all that is fair and true, YES...I would be that insensitive in order to maintain the spirit of fairness" then you need to get a GRIP!

Up the stakes even more...can you honestly say that you would take a pass on your husband or wife if you met up with them at the slugline, but shucky-darn they're twelve slugs back? If you think that you would still say "I would honestly do that" then you need to prepare the following statement for yourself: "Sorry honey! These strangers were here first...please don't make me sleep on the couch tonight!" Now I will admit that I don't think that it is very often that family members don't ride together and need to meet at the slug line, but I HAVE seen it, so it DOES happen.

My point is that if you're going to PRETEND that you are willing to act in fairness based upon your personal PRINCIPLES, then look at the examples above and ask yourself if you can truly maintain consistency in what you consider to be fair.

Now remember, I don't drive...I only ride...before you read the next part...

Taking a friend/co-worker/family member is PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE REGARDLESS OF PLACE IN LINE as it is a LOGICAL and RATIONAL choice. Taking one or two from the front of the line is a plus. That is a position that works in EVERY case, thus making it a true principle.

K.O.
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2002 at 11:51am
Does this analogy fit? Say that you're at a public store and the checkout line is long. Your spouse is the clerk and sees you at the back of the line. The store won't allow the clerk to call the spouse to the head of the line. All the clerk can do is shrug his/her shoulders.

gg
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2002 at 12:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by gg
[br]Does this analogy fit? Say that you're at a public store and the checkout line is long. Your spouse is the clerk and sees you at the back of the line. The store won't allow the clerk to call the spouse to the head of the line. All the clerk can do is shrug his/her shoulders.

gg

That analogy doesn't fit. Why? Because the clerk must eventually serve everyone. In a slug line, one doesn't have to give EVERYBODY a ride...just a couple. Trying to combine your example with the situation would be like saying that the clerk only has to ring up two people and go home, and chooses to ring up at least their spouse. See how that makes no sense?

K.O.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2002 at 1:24pm
Admin started a new thread on this topic in case y'all missed it. Now you don't have to take the extra step(s) to get to the fifth page of this thread... Have a great day everybody! [;)]
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2002 at 1:25pm
Uh-oh...6 pages now!! [:0]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic