Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topics not to be discussed!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Resq4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Topics not to be discussed!!!
    Posted: 23 Jul 2002 at 4:13pm
I am a rider 90% of the time and I hate to say it, but some people dont know when to and when not to keep there mouths shut. There are common rules to follow when you are in the presence of people you know nothing about. 3 things you dont talk about: Race, Religion and Politics. I know I may be a rider, but there is nothing that I hate more than when I get into a car and someone starts a conversation about something they may offend someone with. These are things that people are scared not to say, "I would appreciate it if you would drop this subject" Well I am one who is definetly not afraid to voice my opinion, so drivers beware if you have me in your car,and bring up one of the 3 forbidden topics, Ill let you know when to say when!! Just try to be sensitive to the fact of who you have in your vehicle and who you are around, you may offend someone by what you say and may not even know it! Ihope noone has experienced this, but if you have, lets talk about it!!
Maylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2002 at 7:28am
I agree with you totally and have experienced the same, but I have gotten to the point where I believe some people just simply are never going to get it (or maybe they do, but enjoy aggravating people). In some earlier strings, people have posted warnings about such people, which I really appreciate. If we do this, the word spreads and the offending person either is forced to behave in a decent manner or be shunned and eventually have a difficult time getting rides/riders. It has made me more relaxed to know that if I note the appearance of the person, I can pass up the ride if it's a driver, or pass if the offending person is next to you in line and will be getting in the same car. I think, though, that it is great that you speak up because there always is that exception when a person actually listens and responds to your concerns by ceasing with the offending behavior.
Megled View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2002 at 8:20am
Resq4u: I'm one of those people that grin and bear it, but admire those that can speak up, especially if done in a relatively low-key manner. Although this is not the same scenario, it is similar as far as rude and obnoxius behavior goes - I get to the slug line last night and three people ahead of me is a woman who talked loudly on a cell phone. This was a hard core talker and she had on ear phones. Because of the ear phones, I initially thought she was speaking to the person next to her in line. She began by calling people, leaving messages to call her. She finally got ahold of someone and babbled non-stop (we were in line for about 15 minutes)in a lOUD voice. When a car pulled up, the woman in front of her, said only "Go ahead." The cell phone woman appeared to force her hand and asked why she was passing. The woman asked quite politely, considering the circumstances, whether she was planning on talking on her cell phone during the ride home. The "talker" said no, so they got into the vehicle. I arrived just behind them at the commute ride lot, and told the woman who questioned the cell phone talker that I thought it was great that she asked that question. She said that she also usually grins and bears it, but had read your post just before leaving last evening and when the "talker" wouldn't just get in the vehicle after she passed, instead of just repeating it, she said that your post came into her head and she decided to be forthright. Unfortunately, the talker couldn't make it all the way home before making a call. This was a middle-aged woman, whose conversation was so driveling, it was torture and you couldn't escape it because she talked so loudly. If you closed your eyes, you would never guess that it was a mature woman talking. Although she showed some restraint once getting into the car, she apparently thought it was OK to annoy the heck out of people who are standing near her in line. Anyway, just wanted to share this with you because the woman was inspired by your words.
Resq4u View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Resq4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2002 at 2:13pm
I thank you for your input, all of you. And it helps to know that there are people out there who feel the same as I. Keep up the communicating and through this alone, we may be able to give helpful hints to those who decide to be like me and just stop and check out this site and see that there are people talking about them.. Their conscious would kill them next time they deciude to open there mouths in a car, wondering is one of these people someone who may have been refering to me and what I talk about..... You never know!!! hehehe

Thanks again for your input!!!

WJ
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2002 at 10:09am
Well put Resq4u (both posts). If something offends you then you have to say something about it. If it offends you, then it's most likely offensive to others as well. In case anyone was wondering, there are informal but generally accepted rules to slugging. Here's the link: http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Etiquette.htm

RW View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 1:36pm
I've been meaning to make this post for sometime now. I have been put on the spot by people trying to sell Amway on the slug ride home. No offense to people that sell Amway, trying to sell Amway to people that you pick up as slugs is uncalled for. It has happened to me several times in the past 3-4 months. Usually the people will start out being very friendly with you, (which by the way, makes me very weary of people being overly friendly) start asking you questions about your family and then say something to the tune of "How would you like to earn a strong second income with only a few hours of work a week?" It's bad enough that I've been solicited with Amway at Wal-Mart, Various Gas Stations and even Best Buy, but I think the slug ride home is the wrong place. Basically the person who is soliciting you has you trapped and not wanting to be rude you are a captive audience. On more than one occasion when I would not surrender my phone number, the people were quite rude and acted offended that I would not be interested in such an unbelievable offer. Once again, I have nothing against Amway, I just believe the slug ride home is the wrong place to try to solicit.

RW
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 1:46pm
Wow RW...that's incredible. I can't believe someone would have the nerve to do that...more than once even! Fortunately I haven't had that experience. What slug station is it? It would be good to sound a warning about that...that is extremely bad.

K.O.
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 2:19pm
That happened to me at K-Mart last week; it's amazing where people try to sell stuff. Anyway, this hasn't happened to me while slugging but I think it is a good prospect for a "no solicitation" rule.

kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 2:22pm
Actually I think it's a poor testament to how desperate some people become due to a downturn in the economy.

K.O.
akire25 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akire25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 4:33pm
I picked up a rider one morning. She seemed very nice. She appeared to want to chat, so I chatted with her. Everything was fine until she started to bash the "alternative lifestyle". I couldn't believe it! That's just not something you do especially if you know nothing about the person you're talking to. I desperately wanted to ask her to leave my car, however, I was going about 70 mph at the time. I just held my tongue and suffered through it.

I'm glad that this topic has been brought up.

akire25
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic