Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air-conditioning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyy24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air-conditioning
    Posted: 24 Jul 2002 at 2:52pm
Would it be ok to ask a driver to turn on the air-conditioning when we have 90 degree heat, code red days?

kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2002 at 2:55pm
Yes...it's perfectly acceptable and expected. Unfortunately drivers don't use common sense. I had a ride yesterday in which I had to roll down the window because the driver didn't take the hint that we were all sweating.

Kevin O.
jhatton1980 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatton1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2002 at 3:20pm
I have no problem with asking for AC to be turned up or down. Same goes for the radio.

I was in a car once that only had speakers in the back seat area, where I was sitting. I had a killer headache and the music was blasting. I asked him to turn it down and he did ... for about 3 minutes and then he turned it up again. I opened the window a bit hoping the wind noise would drown out the pounding bass. To my shock, a few minutes later he used his controls to close my window. I see him in line and never, ever get into his car.

Robb View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2002 at 7:26am
I find that most cars are perfectly comfortable, but you do occasionally run across someone who does not have a/c on in hot weather or, even blasts the radio so loud that it actually hurts your ears. I believe in these cases, it's OK to say something, otherwise it can be literally physical torture getting home. Every once in a blue moon you'll run into someone who has a bit of an attitude and I do like jhatton does, note the car and driver and just avoid them thereafter.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2002 at 8:48am
Yes.

nyy24 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyy24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2002 at 10:14am
Ok...thanks...I really felt like I was going to pass out that day, but I made it.

lotsa View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2002 at 2:44pm
I'm sorry to come in at the end of this, but just wanted to point out that the website etiquette section says that it is a no-no to ask for the heat/ac to be adjusted. The couple times it happened to me I said nothing. I just don't ride with that person again. I do, however, believe on a personal level, that when you have an EXTREMELY hot day and there is no a/c, or a very loud radio - that it is OK to say something. This is very rude behavior on the driver's part. In such extreme cases, what are you going to lose? If you get a negative response, you don't want to ride with them again anyway. With these 90 plus days, if the driver doesn't mention that he or she doesn't have (or won't use) A/C before you depart, or the radio is so loud as Robb says it hurts your hear - THAT is being inconsiderate of the riders.
Once a driver shut off the A/C and had all the windows rolled down. I'm sure you know what it's like to sit in the back seat with the constant sting of the wind beating at your face, you've lost your hearing temporarily, and your hair is tied in knots. I'm not advocating going against the rules of the road. This is just my view.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic