Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rising cost of gas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 8:54am
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]For me it's an oil change every other month and a set of tires, transmission fluid change, front end alignment, and a brake job per year (coming from Fredericksburg). It adds up quickly - 650 miles per week x 50 weeks per year = 32,500 miles per year. Not to mention after 3 years, you really need a paint job thanks to all the construction debris blasting your finish.

The reason you're not spending much on maintenance is because your riding with someone who is!

No, the reason I spent so little on maintenance is my commute is only 200 miles a week compaired to your 650.
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 9:35am
As far as the proposal goes...if you have 3 - you will not pay a toll fee. It would be the same as it is now under the HOV3. We're not in Houston...

quote:
Originally posted by RobertLangDirect
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by adjguy
[br]. . . surcharge? As far as the HOT Lanes, if you have three you dont pay right?

Sure, if each of the riders agree to pay 50% of the current seventy cents per mile they charge on the SR 91 HOT, then you'd drive for free.

If you have two passengers willing to each pay their "share" in Houston, then you'd ride for free, but there, it has gone from HOT to T and T [Remember, the Houston Exchange is 'Toll and Two -- T and T. That just dynomite.']

Unfortunately, the people who run the HOT are chartered to PAY BACK THE INVESTORS and NOT CHARTERED to KEEP HOV FOREVER FREE.

HOV FOREVER FREE!

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 10:01am
Baz, as we've been pointing out to the willfully blind or stupid since last August:

THERE IS NO WAY TO COUNT THE PEOPLE IN THE CAR UNDER FLUOR'S PLAN!!!!

Jeez, I'm sorry to yell, but how many times do we have to make the point? It cannot -- simply cannot -- be done, and Fluor admits it right up front in their proposal.

Good Gravy, folks, the High Occupancy part of our highway system is about to go kaput and it is being totally ignored by our local media and by the very people who will be most affected.

READ THIS!!!

"'If you're expecting to get HOV-3 and ride for free, it's not clear that's going to be possible at this stage,' said Ronald F. Kirby, transportation planning director of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments." Washington Post, 4-29-05 Page A01

How much higher an authority do you need to tell you: IT IS GOING TO BE A PURE TOLL ROAD, as we've been warning you for months.

(Man, I've got to lay off the venti Starbucks....)
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2005 at 7:25pm
Spongeman, Decaf man, Deeeeecafff!

So, no more HOV3. Just a pure toll road. I wonder how long thats going to last, as it seems like a doomsday event. I wonder if the voters will put up with all of this, especially in Prince William and Fairfax County. Considering PWC and Fairfax are mostly bedroom communities that commute generally north, I wonder if the elected officials in charge have the Go-nads to let a toll only road exist after wha is it now, 15-20 years of HOV? I just dont see this kind of drastic change coming about.

Just an opinion here, not trying to pick a fight.

Should I get one of those Credit Card swipers for my car for my riders if this really does happen? How many folks carry cash anymore....[:p]

Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 5:09pm
Donkeys!! You can buy tires that are guaranteed up to 50,000 miles...Spend a couple extra bucks and buy a good set....6 months to a year....christ, your being had.....
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2005 at 9:29am
I've only had half a cup this morning, so...

Funny how every thread turns into either a high-bred or Tool Road rant, isn't it? Not much will matter when HOV is gone.

It is a Doomsday Event, Adjguy, if we lose HOV. That's why the Sponge has been running in circles crying Doom! Doom!

So what makes you think the politicians aren't actively aiding the effort to destroy HOV? They don't use the lanes, they don't see the potential impact, they aren't concerned about it, so they let the Fluor proposal go through because they have to do SOMETHING!

BTW, Sean Connaughton, he of the mega-sign near the mixing bowl announcing his hubris-filled quest to be #2 in Virginia, would melt down to hear you call Prince William County a bedroom community. You and I know it is exactly that, but he has been laboring to bring in businesses and create in-county jobs. They don't WANT to help the commuters because then the county stays bedroom.

I guess I should say that they don't want to CATER to the commuters; we're not part of the future they are trying to build in PWC. Sean's smart enough to know that bedroom communities, particularly ones filled with townhomes, are not economically viable: the tax income doesn't cover the services provided (schools, mostly.) Remember when PWC had the highest property tax rates in Va? It was because our tax base has too small a business component (despite Potomac Mills.)

If implementing HOT lets the politicians claim they "did something" about the traffic, then they are going to let it happen. It will always be easier for them to let something happen than to have to actively oppose it. Who needs the hassle?
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 9:29pm
Sponge,

Thank you for your comments, noted. I agree with your statements and hope that busineses and US Government Contractors will lease space in the county to generate revenue, but that is a whole new issue. Govt. Contractors and agencies are a driving force in this region, but I beleive unfortunately they have this silly rule that contractors must set up shop within a reasonable distance(cant remember milage) of their client, which does not include allot of southern Prince William County. We can only hope that the US Marine Corps and the new FT. Belvior buildup (thanks to BRACS) helps our county get that business. I would love not having to slug to work 25 miles everyday and depend on a commuter parking lot that fills up by 7am. I guess trying to get those jobs here is up to our senior politicians......Sean, you reading this?

Im with everyone here, to keep HOV Free. Let our votes do the talking here in November.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic