Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Atlanta Reporter looking for help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dana Tofig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atlanta Reporter looking for help
    Posted: 25 Jul 2002 at 4:08pm
Hi,
My name is Dana Tofig, I'm a reporter with the Atlanta Journal Constitution. On Tuesday I'm going to be in D.C. to do a story on the Slug Lines and was wondering if some folks might be able to help me out.
I'm wondering whether there are slug lines starting points that are more popular than others [generally, the morning would be better]. Also, would any of you be willing to talk to me in advance for the story. If so, simply e-mail me or call me at 404-526-5384 direct or call 1-800-756-2489 and ask for me.
I'd really appreciate any help.
Thanks, Dana.

nyy24 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyy24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2002 at 4:14pm
I guess it depends on where you are staying. In the District?

wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2002 at 5:14am
I suppose one of the larger collection of slugs heading to diverse points would be found at the Pentagon pickup points in the afternoon/evening.
- Will

Monbe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2002 at 7:32am
In the a.m. Horner Rd. commuter lot off the Pr. Wm. Parkway in Pr. Wm. County (see maps on this website)has consistent, heavy slug line activity. Once the parking spaces fill up, the activity pretty much comes to a halt. I'm not sure what time that is. Maybe someone else can offer that information.

In the p.m., as was stated, the Pentagon has the heaviest traffic of sluggers with lines to Horner Rd., Potomac Mills, Stafford and Fredericksburg and Springfield.
Bslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2002 at 3:09pm
Potomac Mills also has a fair amount of activity. It's also separated into three lines goint to three destinations - Pentagon, Downtown DC and Rosslyn/Crystal City.

Wish it was the same at HORNER!

Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2002 at 8:40am
In the morning, the Rt 610/Garrisonville road line is ALWAYS busy, from about 5:30AM to at least 7am. there was a long line there at 6:30 this AM.

IN the evening, there is almost always a line of people at the Rt 17 and rt 610 lines from 4:30 to 6 pm.

Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2002 at 8:41am
btw - there are 2 AM lines at rt 610, one to DC, one to Arlington (Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn)

No Media Please View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No Media Please Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2002 at 11:07pm
Media attention on the slug-line system delivered to the general public only means less safety for the slug-line system. It will take only one bad event due to one driver or one rider who is up to no good to ruin this system - scaring away hundreds for who knows how long. I vote no media.

No Media on Slug System - Please!
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2002 at 7:34am
I think that it is safe to say that "No Media Please" is just starved for attention, as they have never posted a message until now. Slugging has been going on for a couple of decades now, and no incidents of foul play have transpired yet (knock on wood), so I think it's fair to say that a little media attention to our system isn't going to attract the psychos. I'm not saying that it would never happen, but I AM saying that "No Media Please" is acting just a tad bit paranoid.

Kevin O.
Megled View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2002 at 7:44am
Also, the media has already covered the slugging system from time to time with coverage in the newspapers and on the TV news.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic