Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills vs Overflow Lot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potomac Mills vs Overflow Lot
    Posted: 26 Jul 2002 at 10:00am
I am a driver who pick up slugs from the Rossyln stop. I drive to either Horner Road or Potomac Mills in the evenings. I would perfer to pick up 2 going to the same location. Normally its Potomac Mills. I have noticed that before people get in my car when I tell them Potomac they would ask me if I am going to the Potomac Overflow lot. I tell them that I will if they have another person going there. (Normally they dont). I have had at least 2 people ask me why cant I drive them there since its right across the street? First of all..I do not feel like I have to explain myslef to anyone. I thought I could "reject" a rider if I chose to. I CHOSE NOT to drive to 2 different locations.

So, anyways.. last night, I had two people in my car going to Potomac. We get to the Dale City exit, and as soon as I am going to the top of the hill to make a right (I dont know the street name) the gentelmen in the front seat tells me he is going to the Overflow lot. Totally expecting me to go straight, across the street over by BOB Evens. I told him that my destinatin is NOT the overflow lot, but Potomac Mills, and he should specified that BEFORE he got in my car. I ended up dropping him off at the corner inside the Potomac Mills parking lot.

My beef is that I do not like to be put in this situation. I tell my riders that I am going to Potomac Mills. Why is this so hard to understand that there are 2 LOTS AT POTOMAC MILLS and if I wanted to drive to the overflow lot, I would said.. POTOMAC MILLS OVERFLOW lot.

How can I clear up this confusion? Am I making a big deal of this? Not only would I be inconviencing myslef of driving to the extra lot, but inconciencing my other rider who thought they were getting a straight shot to their destentation.

Thanks
VADriver

Maylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2002 at 2:14pm
I agree with what PJ wrote. Also, if drivers made a point of clearing up the destination before leaving, such inconsiderate riders may eventually wake up and stop being so rude. This, in my view, should be done anyway, whether by the driver or rider. There has at times have been mix ups because someone didn't hear the destination correctly. I drive and ride and either way, I always repeat the destination. In your case, it's a little different and even more important to get the destination straight at the onset.

I think because some drivers don't say anything, these riders can't think beyond that and continue their behavior. It's kind of like the old "if you don't say anything, it must be OK" mentality. Some people have to be told everything directly. Only then will some of those people get it and, of course, there will always be a few who won't, but at least they won't be inconveniencing others.
Cas View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2002 at 3:03pm
You do have the right to reject a rider. The "sticky wicket" with your situation is that you are dealing with some individuals who are only thinking of themselves. If a driver wants to go to one destination, that is certainly his or her choice. If a rider questions it, or waits until you get to the lot you announced and expects to be taken elsewhere, even if a short distance, well... that person is a smutz!
tbell511 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbell511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2002 at 2:30pm
No you are not wrong in what you feel about going to one specific location, I used to park at Potomac, and yeah it would get on my nerves notthat the other person in the car was going to the overflow lot but the majority of the people try to do a sneaky move and tell driver once they get to the general area that they are going to Bob Evans and that is not right to put someone in that position, wheather it is across the street or not.I once rode with a nice guy who was first of all willing to take an extra person, but all the way up the HOV he was telling us that he was running extremely late from picking up his daughter at daycare, and these 2 ladies in the back where so totally wrong , they waited until we got to that turn that you where talking about and told him oh do you mind taking me over to the Bob's across the street, he and I looked at each with a " Oh no they didn't pull that stunt" well good for him he said NO I am sorry but I can pull over and let you out in front of this Mobil station hahhahah! when they got out I said you go boy hahhaha! and you can see them fumming walking across the street. So no you have every right to let it be known that you are only going to one location only!!

quote:
Originally posted by VaDriver
[br]I am a driver who pick up slugs from the Rossyln stop. I drive to either Horner Road or Potomac Mills in the evenings. I would perfer to pick up 2 going to the same location. Normally its Potomac Mills. I have noticed that before people get in my car when I tell them Potomac they would ask me if I am going to the Potomac Overflow lot. I tell them that I will if they have another person going there. (Normally they dont). I have had at least 2 people ask me why cant I drive them there since its right across the street? First of all..I do not feel like I have to explain myslef to anyone. I thought I could "reject" a rider if I chose to. I CHOSE NOT to drive to 2 different locations.

So, anyways.. last night, I had two people in my car going to Potomac. We get to the Dale City exit, and as soon as I am going to the top of the hill to make a right (I dont know the street name) the gentelmen in the front seat tells me he is going to the Overflow lot. Totally expecting me to go straight, across the street over by BOB Evens. I told him that my destinatin is NOT the overflow lot, but Potomac Mills, and he should specified that BEFORE he got in my car. I ended up dropping him off at the corner inside the Potomac Mills parking lot.

My beef is that I do not like to be put in this situation. I tell my riders that I am going to Potomac Mills. Why is this so hard to understand that there are 2 LOTS AT POTOMAC MILLS and if I wanted to drive to the overflow lot, I would said.. POTOMAC MILLS OVERFLOW lot.

How can I clear up this confusion? Am I making a big deal of this? Not only would I be inconviencing myslef of driving to the extra lot, but inconciencing my other rider who thought they were getting a straight shot to their destentation.

Thanks
VADriver

TBell
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2002 at 9:59am
VaDriver,

You've made your intended destination clear to the riders, so the overflow lot is really by exception. It is the rider's responsibility to ask up front if you mind going to the overflow lot.

Don't feel bad that there are insolent people out there. I know exactly the area that you described, and just dropping them off at your earliest convenience is fine. You don't need to offer any excuses or reasons. The effrontery behavior of some people is amazing.

gg
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2002 at 10:12am
Vandriver,

You are absolutely correct in your thinking. The passengers should ask before they get in your car but I would also suggest that you make up a sign for your window that says your destination clearly and underscore the fact that you cannot go to the overflow lot. A sign does go a long way. Take care and happy slugging!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic