Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cabs HOV-2 ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cabs HOV-2 ?
    Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 8:33am
I was informed by a cab driver that cabs only need 2 people to ride on the HOV. Is this true? He gave me a good scare because he drove off with just me in the cab until I asked and he explained. He also turned on the meter for the duration of the ride, so it led me to think perhaps if he was at a checkpoint he could say I was a customer? btw, a ride from Potomac Mills to Crystal City with yesterday's traffic would've cost close to $50 for a cab ride!

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 8:38am
Yes, for some reason it's true that cabs only need one passenger to qualify for HOV. The first time I left Potomac Mills bound for Rosslyn in a cab, alone with the driver, I was a little spooked, too - I thought we'd get pulled over for HOV violations.....
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 12:17pm
See Exemption #8 below. [:I]

The HOV Rules from the VDOT HOV FAQ webpage.

(Quote)
Rules

During HOV operating hours, any vehicle that has the designated number of people (HOV 2 or 3) can use the HOV lanes. During all other times, they are open to all vehicles, except when the reversible lanes are closed.

Fines for not having the required number of people in the vehicle:

Northern Virginia HOV Lane Fines:
$50 - 1st offense + $39 court costs
$200 - 2nd offense + $39 court costs
$500 - *3rd offense within two years of second offense + $39 court costs
$1,000 - *4th offense within three years of second offense + $39 court costs

*persons convicted of a third, fourth or subsequent violation within five years of a first offense committed in Northern Virginia shall be assessed three demerit points for each such violation.

Exemptions To The Rules:

1. Motorcycles are permitted to use HOV lanes throughout Virginia during HOV hours.
2. Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport on business are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway during HOV hours.
3. Vehicles powered exclusively by clean special fuel, including compressed natural gas, electricity, liquefied natural gas and solar energy and registered with clean special fuel license plates are permitted to use HOV lanes. Hybrid fuel vehicles (i.e., gasoline engines that are assisted with electricity) that are registered with clean special fuel license plates also qualify to use the HOV lanes. (See FAQ above for more information.)
4. Emergency vehicles (fire, ambulance, rescue) and law enforcement vehicles are exempt. Public utility vehicles are permitted to use HOV lanes when responding to emergency calls.
5. Trucks are permitted to use HOV lanes if they have the required number of people in Northern Virginia. Trucks are not permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway at any time. Trucks are not permitted to use any of the HOV lanes in the Hampton Roads area.
6. I-395 HOV lanes are open to non-HOV traffic during HOV hours from the entrance ramp located just south of Duke Street, known as "Turkeycock." However, non-HOV traffic using these lanes during HOV hours must exit at one of the next two left exits.
First exit: Springfield, Route 644W (last exit in Springfield).
Second exit: Flyover to I-95 southbound
7. Buses designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver.
8. Taxicabs with two or more people, including the driver.

(End Quote)

For more HOV info, please go to
http://virginiadot.org/comtravel/hov-rulesfaq.asp.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
04elantragtboy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 04elantragtboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2005 at 8:17am
yea that happened to me one time to and i was like hold on don't you need another passenger and he gave me an attitude and said why do you people think i need another rider cab laws have changed. i was spooked the whole time to, and he kept eyeing me on the whole trip in :(
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 9:26am
I frequently ride in with a cabbie out of 234. I look for him when I arrive at the lot, as we don't have to wait for a third person. It's safe and legal. Enjoy and don't fret over the "free" ride.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 9:57am
I am sure the idea of HOV2 for cabs is that most cab trips have just one passenger (plus driver), so the govt wants to encourage cab trips to the airport instead of car trips. Hence the exemption. However, it is kind of strange when it is used for slugging/ non-fare trips. Given the difficult time of making a living driving a cab, I don't think too many people object to this one.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 10:32am
Heck, most cabbies probably don't know about it!

I am pretty up on HOV and slugging and I'd never heard of the Cab-2+ exemption before a month ago.

I don't have any problem with the exemption. It is a tough life, driving a cab - hard to make a buck.
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 11:27am
Again this morning I went into work in a cab (a different one than last time), but when the person next to me wanted to hop in too the cabbie was adamantly against accepting another slug, and I felt bad even though the car behind us was also going to CC. Where are these cabs in the evenings? [:P]

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 12:57pm
Not giving free rides, I bet. [;)]

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic