Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AM HOV Sucks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2005 at 10:29am
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Let's get our terminology adjusted a bit. Let's address the OCCUPANCY status instead of the vehicle's technology. The challenge is those who travel with less than the requisite 3 in HOV-3 lanes. It doesn't matter how the car is built.

For anyone who doesn't think that additional vehicles on the road contribute to congestion, I'm wondering what their definition of congestion is?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Well, you adjust whatever terminology you need to. I'm just talking about yesterday morning when our van was in the middle of a huge pack of hybrid vehicles (most SOV). It was almost comical. That's all I'm saying. Take it for what it's worth.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2005 at 1:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Let's get our terminology adjusted a bit. Let's address the OCCUPANCY status instead of the vehicle's technology. The challenge is those who travel with less than the requisite 3 in HOV-3 lanes. It doesn't matter how the car is built.

For anyone who doesn't think that additional vehicles on the road contribute to congestion, I'm wondering what their definition of congestion is?

NoSb

I sure hope you are looking at the lane to your right when you are thinking that.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2005 at 2:04pm
Nah, no need to look to the right that's a choice for many. Irrelevant comparison. Those who go to the extra effort to make the overall situation better (e.g. a little inconvenience to themselves) should receive a benefit.

And for the uninitiated, comparing HOV to main line quantities should only be done on a body count basis, not on a vehicle basis. There used to be statistics that showed HOV moving x number of bodies versus the mainline. Let's see, less vehicles, more bodies, less congestion, less time commuting, less pollution, less road space, more bodies, more bodies, more people, more bodies.

Let's look at realistic comparisons. SOVs clog up HOV and reduce the many benefits. When the time savings deteriorates to such a point that it's no longer worth a person's effort to carpool, then the benefit goes away thus making the situation worse than originally expected.

I'm glad SOV drivers come to this site. Maybe they can realize the folly of their choices and make the extra effort. Then again some people won't because they can buy their way out---for a time.

NoSb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic