Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNot Your Typical Hybrid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not Your Typical Hybrid
    Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 6:58am
Seen several times lately on I395 HOVs ... Ford Taurus (yes, Taurus), silver, clean-fuel plate # 2417CF, single occupant, driver only. [:0]

[?][?][?] What gives? [?][?][?]

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 8:18am
I'm sure that the Taurus you saw is a real clean fuel vehicle, with probably 1/10th the emissions of the gasoline powered hybrids.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 8:45am
Sure, CF plates only indicate the vehicle has the ABILITY to burn alternative fuels (batteries now too).

Talked to a guy once who had a Ford Ranger. He told me it was a "clean fuel" vehicle. It burned gasoline OR ethanol.

I asked him how much ethanol was costing him per gallon. He said he hadn't EVER bought any ethanol. He was burning ONLY gasoline AND driving HOV.

CF don't mean squat!

NoSb
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 11:50am
NoSB,
The cars you describe would not qualify for Virginia's CF plate according to the statute. Then again, hybrids don't qualify either since they are running gasoline.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2005 at 9:31am
Assuming that the hybrid exemption ends in the summer of 2006, does this also apply to compressed gas vehicles? Was thinking about this yesterday and I dont think the issue has been raised. A new nightmare... 5000 CNG vehicles with one occupant.

Just looked at the General Assembly text again (below) Looks like all vehicles with clean fuel plates will be forbidden

6. Until July 1, 2006 vehicles bearing clean special fuel vehicle license plates issued pursuant to § 46.2-749.3,; or
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2005 at 2:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]Assuming that the hybrid exemption ends in the summer of 2006, does this also apply to compressed gas vehicles? Was thinking about this yesterday and I dont think the issue has been raised. A new nightmare... 5000 CNG vehicles with one occupant.

Just looked at the General Assembly text again (below) Looks like all vehicles with clean fuel plates will be forbidden

6. Until July 1, 2006 vehicles bearing clean special fuel vehicle license plates issued pursuant to § 46.2-749.3,; or

I doubt that many people would actually switch to a CNG vehicle just for the HOV use. They had the exemption for years before the hybrids and how many of them do you see? It is really hard to find places to refuel so you'd only be able to use it as a commuter car. I think the Honda Civic is the only CNG vehicle available to the general public. You can buy a $2000 refueling unit to put in your garage if you already have gas service. They are so much cleaner than the hybrids but it doesn't matter because they will lose the exemption at the same time.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 4:20pm
I know a couple of folks who have CNG vehicles that they bought for the commute, but they bought used retrofitted vehicles.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic