Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Lines for Horner Road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote map077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2003 at 3:08pm
[?]I am rather new to slugging and I have some questions that perhaps more "seasoned" sluggers can answer. I have been slugging from Horner Road to 14th Street in the morning usually after 7:00 am. I have noticed that the slug line seems to start very far away from the bus pick up area; so far that people are getting close to the driveway to the parking area (closest to Telegraph Road). I have also noticed that there are a lot of cars for 18th St & Navy Yard while there are many more sluggers waiting for rides up 14th St. A couple of thoughts - has anyone thought of dividing these lines up? Has anyone thought of turning the line around and having the beginning of the line be closest to Telegraph? And why don't the sluggers move down the sidewalk closer to the bus stop to allow more cars to come into the parking lot? Right now I see cars just barely coming into the lot and having to stop. This then causes a chain reaction with sluggers walking the line and jumping into a car without consideration for those people who are at the beginning of the line. I'm not sure whether my ideas are viable but perhaps these thoughts will spur other ideas and/or suggestions. Finally, if changes are decided upon, who "enforces" them? Thanks for your time!
swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2003 at 3:18pm
The line is backwards! It would be nice to have it the other way. Also if we get to close to the bus you have cars and busses cutting each other off and the busses block the whole road trying to pick up people. This is why we have moved down some.

I would like the direction of the line changed it would cut back on a lot of cheating!!
It would take the early people to start the line going the other way to change the direction of it.
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2003 at 9:47am
I'm not sure about the DC line at Horner Road being backwards but the line for the Pentagon, Crystal City and Rosslyn is backwards because no car seems to drive to the top of the island. The furthest that a car will drive is to the middle of the island. If drivers went as far north as possible or closer to the on-ramp, it would help.

However, people will still walk back through the line of cars because if you're the only one waiting, it only makes sense to find the next car headed for your destination. Cheating seems to occur when there are more than two slugs waiting in line.

There is also the parking lot roaming drivers that cheat and the cheating slugs that get in the car but that's another topic.

gg
triskit22 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triskit22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2003 at 8:24am
I think we should break the 18th st and 14th st lines apart. Maybe have the 18th st cars (or 14th st) stop on the other side of the sidewalk (in the parking lot)?
Mr. Bill View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2003 at 11:27am
The 18th and 14th lines should remain in the same spot. I agree with an earlier post that the line should start at the corner and extend toward the bus stop. This approach works at the Old Hechinger lot. Therefore, when the line is long the cars are then encouraged to move down towards the end of the line instead of staying in one place and blocking the enterance to the parking.[:o)]
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2003 at 1:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Bill
[br]The 18th and 14th lines should remain in the same spot. I agree with an earlier post that the line should start at the corner and extend toward the bus stop. This approach works at the Old Hechinger lot. Therefore, when the line is long the cars are then encouraged to move down towards the end of the line instead of staying in one place and blocking the enterance to the parking.[:o)]

If it were possible, and I doubt that it is, one solution would be to have the cars enter the parking lot on the entrance nearest telegraph and exit to a reformed line at the corner of the secound entrance where the pickup point could be. That would get the line of cars out of the road and the head of the rider line at the appropriate position.
I don't see it happening without a campaign of brochures and other volunteer efforts.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic