Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Slugs clog evening rush-hour traffic???"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 11:29am
One area that's not been mentioned is the difference between what is legally acceptable and ethically correct when it comes to hybrids.

Ok, a confession (for many of you it will be a most heinous one), but I'm a hunter. In becoming a hunter, I attended a 2 day hunting safety course. They talk ALOT about ethics in the class. One scenario: Alaska, big game, two visiting hunters, completely LEGAL hunting situation.

The big game were outside the city limits in a LEGAL hunting area. The big game were grazing in an area that tourists/townspeople could go out and observe them. The animals had become somewhat immune to human threats. It was like a zoo with no gates/cages/bars/fences.

The two hunters walk out and shoot two of the critters. Completely LEGAL, ethically WRONG.

Hybrids - may be legally able to ride as SOVs on the HOV, but ethically wrong in light of the increased congestion, sparse parking, desire to reduce emissions, etc.

If it is true, as some state on this forum, that it's the law/exemption that allows them that legal exemption, then it's not necessarily the "right" thing to do. I like the idea of "clean fuels" (which these vehicles aren't) and "alternative fuels" (which these vehicles aren't using at 65mph speeds). I've thought since the 70s that we should be reducing our dependence on "foreign oil" (big oil is more correct, but not PC), we haven't.

Hybrid drivers! You want to be both legal AND ethical? Pick up enough riders to do the things you claim that CF vehicles are created to do.

'nuf sed,

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 11:55am
Bravo, NoSB. Well said. (well, the HOV stuff anyway. the hunting I'll choose to leave alone) :)
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 12:20pm
Congestion is mostly due to poorly planned pick up points.

Yesterday, Pentagon, no one in 610 lines, all others full. Took me 10 minutes to get close enough to get the attention of the lead slug in the RT 3 line.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 12:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by Luvmyhybrid
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]I suspect that we will hear more and more whining from hybrid owners as the expiration date of their exemption grows nearer by the day. They all knew (at least most did) when they bought their hybrid that they would be relegated back to the main lanes next year.

To all you hybrid owners.....stop whining!! Either start carpooling, vanpooling, or slugging if you want to use the HOV like the rest of us. Sheesh....most of you hydrid owners act like this came out of nowhere and your getting the shaft. You knew when you bought it.....blah blah blah!

Wow -- as hybrid owners, we've never once WHINED about HOV useage, so please don't generalize. The whining I've read on this site usually comes from those commuters who don't own a Hybrid, and for some reason think they're getting the shaft. If you don't like the laws, then for tell your representatives.

I'm not referring to the whining of HOV use, I am referring to the whining of the hybrid owners about the soon to come expiration of their exemption. Don't even try to tell me no hybrids owners whine about that!!!

Once again, you're generalizing....I am a Hybrid owner, and I don't whine about the expiration one oodle!

Well, if the statement doesn't apply to you....then ignore it. It's that simple. Obviously, I didn't say that ALL hybrid owners whine. If I did....please let me know and I will correct myself. However, most that post here do and seem to come here for that very reason.[xx(]
Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 12:58pm
"Don't even try to tell me no hybrids owners whine about that!!!"

Nuff said.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 1:55pm
quote:
[br]"Don't even try to tell me no hybrids owners whine about that!!!"

Nuff said.

How you come to the conclusion that my quoted statement above infers that ALL hybrid owners whine about losing their exemption soon is beyond me. However, I do agree with you on one point.....Nuff said.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 3:22pm
I'll stand by my post that most of the idiot posters here are hybrid drivers :D
Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 3:57pm
Hey hey hey -- while I agree posters on this site can agree to disagree, I for one am a bit offended when the name calling starts. We teach our children that kind of behavior isn't appropriate nor necessary, and we, as adults should follow the same rule. I am not an idiot...whether I drive a Hybrid or not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic