Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sales Tax Referendum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2002 at 12:13pm
This referendum is really a mixed bag of issues. First, a tax increase. And second, more local government control. If you think about it they are actually opposing matters. Well, not necessarily opposing, but for me at least I am in favor of more local government control, but against a tax increase. Whereas, other voters are in favor of a tax increase but prefer a more centralized government. This is, in part, why the referendum is so confusing and hotly debated.

I, for one, am upset that the county in which I reside was chosen to be part of this northern Virginia group of counties without even asking me, and all residence, if that's what we wanted. We should be allowed to decide that for ourselves. But I can decide one thing, if this thing passes then I'm moving out and away from any of these counties in this "group". Because one thing is certain, if this passes then this method of passing tax increases will be adopted and used again and again.

woodbridgeus1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbridgeus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 6:01pm
You are correct. If this passes, they will back again and again for education, health care, etc., etc. But moving away from Northern Virginia will not help. The whole state will be infected with Referendum fever. The only way to get rid of it is before it spreads.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbridgeus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2002 at 1:09pm
There have been numerous reports (with photo backup) of pro-sales tax signs on VDOT equipment, VDOT signs, and other places that only VDOT personnel have access. Meanwhile, VDOT has been diligent about removing any anti-tax signs near roads and intersections. No matter how you stand on the sales tax increase issue, you should as a matter of basic fairness agree that VDOT should not be using public areas or public funds to promote one side of an electoral issue. If you see evidence of such signs in the right-of-way, please reply with the places and times that you made observations. To see photos try web sites www.fcta.org or www.notaxhike.com.

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2002 at 6:18pm
In my opinion there is little in the sales tax spending plan that will benefit those of us who commute or slug on I-95. There are some projects on 95 and Route 1 but most of the funding will benefit the closer in people. I plan to vote against the sales tax but FOR the bond referendum in Prince William. This bond referendum will fund some very badly needed roads including both ends of Minnieville Rd (to 4 lanes) and expansion of Benita Fitzgerald which will allow cut-through from Dale Blvd to Cardinal without having to go up to Minnieville. These are critical projects for the Dale City area.

I too was put off by all of the pro-tax signs around Horner Rd lot.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbridgeus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2002 at 8:08am
For those who haven't yet focussed on the pros and cons of the Sales Tax Referendum, there are only a few hours left before you have to decide on this complex and important issue. If you don't have time to familiarize yourself with the dozens of arguments for voting "No', then you at least must realize that if the tax increase passes, there will be no second chance to recover. We will be stuck with the tax for at least 35-40 years, even if (when) it proves that it was a huge mistake. There is absolutely no harm in voting "No". If the Legislature and the Governor are still convinced in January that it is essential they can pass it on their own, and they will not miss one day of tax collection. Even the most ardent supporters of the referendum do not dispute this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic