Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ticketing in Commuter lots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ehoberg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ticketing in Commuter lots
    Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 2:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by carleric
[br]He's not talking about a specific case. Rather, it's about the recent court ruling there that the drunk driving laws were unconstitutional (in a nutshell, because the laws presume that a person is illegally drunk if they have a BA above the limit. The argument was that such a presumption flies in the face of innocent-until-proven-guilty). If memory serves, it was in a District Court and is not binding precedent on anywhere else other than there.....

yeah that's what we need to do, erradicate drunk driving laws. . .
parking in way too many handicap spots, one think, making a potential murder weapon out of a car, another.
ehoberg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 2:17pm
quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]You are being charged with murder and you reason..."well, that's one less person who will drive on I-95."

Yeah, I know it's not the same....but where would you draw the line?

You parked illegally and you knew....pay the damn fine and don't do it again.

I park illegally every day[:)]
ehoberg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 2:16pm
quote:
Originally posted by jessa2525
[br]Yesterday I got back to the 234 lot only to find that I had been ticketed for making my own parking spot. Has anyone ever tried to contest these tickets based on the argument that there isn't enough parking for commuters and an illegally parked car is better than another car on the road with only 1 passenger?

I am thinking that depending on who issued the ticket and whether they had jurisdiction. . .
ehoberg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 2:16pm
quote:
Originally posted by jessa2525
[br]Yesterday I got back to the 234 lot only to find that I had been ticketed for making my own parking spot. Has anyone ever tried to contest these tickets based on the argument that there isn't enough parking for commuters and an illegally parked car is better than another car on the road with only 1 passenger?

NoNo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2005 at 2:11pm
I'm all for increased police presence, if they'd look for the people that stole my friends fog lights including the housings, stripped another car, and did nothing after a GMC Yukon (Black) parked ON the front bumper of my car.

Illegal parking is really the least of the issues at the commuter lots. Perhaps if more money was devoted to parking, lights that work, and maybe even cameras, the experience would be bettered for everyone.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 10:21am
Dhacim, I guess it comes from too many years wearing a badge. And I didn't say anything about severity, I just provided a scenario. Illegal is illegal, but obviously not everybody has the same moral compass. And RLD is the one who brought up the legality factor. I just responded.

But if you must have similar circumstances, how about going to the hospital, and you can't find a parking spot in the garage, so you park on the emergency room access road. If you can't park in the parking lot, where should you park? Wherever it happens to be legal. Sometimes you just have to be a little bit inconvenienced. But who said living in a peaceful, law-abiding society was convenient? [:D]
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 3:19pm
Ronin, Why are you playing Johnny Law..Save the cop stuff, we had a good thread going until you jumped in with that hostile police officer bit.

Point is, if you can't park in the commuter lot, where should you park? And your analogy playing theft vs. illegal parking, well, I think we all know which is the lesser crime.
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 2:52pm
jessa2525, you said "It seems to me that the reason traffic is so bad in our area is because there are so many barriers to carpooling."

My response: On the contrary, traffic is bad in our area because a lot of people are NOT carpooling. We have so many options, and slugging is one of the best methods. Not to mention, slugging like this does not exist anywhere else!

ronin718, you said "That's part of the problem with society today. We spend our time justifying why we break the laws rather than just obey them. "

My response: I don't think that the original poster intended to break the law. Do you really believe that? I think that the original poster was just looking for alternatives, so that she could eventually stop parking there. Notice that she did pay the fine.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 2:30pm
No, RLD, it IS strictly a matter of obeying the law. If all legal parking spaces are filled, you don't arbitrarily park your car illegally just because you can't find a spot and need to get to work. That's like going to a gas station, finding it closed, but taking gas anyways because you need the gas.

That's part of the problem with society today. We spend our time justifying why we break the laws rather than just obey them.

jessa2525 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessa2525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 2:09pm
Thanks for all the replies - for those curious as to the outcome, I did in fact suck it up and pay the fine.

To those who offered the Stafford bus solution - I am completely in favor of taking the bus from my home to the slug line, but the bus costs $5.50!!! I have written Omni to see if they would consider a tier system for fares - half distance and full distance - but have not heard back yet.

It seems to me that the reason traffic is so bad in our area is because there are so many barriers to carpooling.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic