Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extending Evening HOV Hours to 6:30pm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extending Evening HOV Hours to 6:30pm
    Posted: 06 Sep 2002 at 10:22am
It used to be that years ago the HOV ran until 6:30pm. I believe we should try to lobby for that extension once again. With jobs becoming so much more demanding, and the hours longer, it is difficult for people who slug to make it to the Pentagon or other destinations for that matter before 5:40pm or later. With the HOV opening at 6pm for all traffic, it tends to leave the possible rider to take the bus or be stranded if they have no money on them or tokens, or trying to make it to the bus before it leaves. And it leaves the driver with no options but to be stuck in traffic for over an hour and a half because the HOV is open to all drivers. Also, the government keeps insisting on saving the environment by commuting and cutting down on the gas fumes. So it seems to me that it would be doing the commuters and the environment a favor by extending the HOV hours. So with all of that in mind, I say the commuters have a good chance of getting the HOV hours extended. Also take note that in the morning you have 3 full hours of use, and in the evening only 2 1/2 hours. Why is that? Just to reiterate once again, we work harder and have longer hours now than we used to and it would be nice to still have HOV time in the evening when picking someone up at 6pm that just couldn't make it to the slug line by 5:30pm or before, and to still be able to make it all the way to RT17 and beyond in a more reasonable amount of time. Believe it or not, by leaving my office just 15 minutes earlier, I save at least 40 minutes of driving time getting home at night. So imagine if we had HOV privileges until 6:30pm. It would be Heaven!
Patricia View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patricia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2002 at 1:01pm
Mr. Loren W. Epton, Jr.
District Traffic Engineer
14685 Avion Parkway
Chantilly, Virginia 20151-1104
(703) 383-2404
Loren.Epton@VirginiaDOT.org

I sent an email to the above individual this morning lodging my complaint about the traffic congestion at the end of southbound HOV and requesting info on plans for extention of the lanes. Maybe we could bombard him with emails about the congestion, expanding HOV times and other subjects that would assist with the traffic problems.

Patricia
Stafford/610
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2002 at 1:13pm
Thanks for posting the contact information Patricia. I will definitely be sending an email today with regards to extending the HOV restrictions until 6:30. As lmura pointed out, it just doesn't make any sense that the evening hours should shorter than the ones in the morning. Not only are we working longer, but our commutes are getting longer too. And if the HOV is extended further south, then they will have to extent the restrictions until 6:30.

I think that everyone who reads this topic should send an email Mr. Loren Epton so our voices will be heard.

emmancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2002 at 10:50am
I am sorry that I failed in giving you guys the info you need to send all our complains regarding the HOV times. Unfortunately I was quite busy at work. I think Patricia did a great job in finding the contact information. Thank you for your effort Patricia.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic