Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I can fix 610 Mine Road.....on Mon 12 Sep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2005 at 10:02am
I think the new way is much more efficient. So a few people don't have enough situational awareness to leave space for the VA drivers to pull out? It's still a lot better than the cluster it used to be.

go2grl

SHAKE1T
fryed_1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fryed_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2005 at 12:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt
I've been in lines that work both ways - with cars approaching the front or approaching the back of the line. The lines where the cars approach from the back seem to work much better because the drivers can call out their destination and the slugs in line can relay it to the front. There's a lot less "walking the line (of cars)" when it is configured this way.

Biggest problem I saw with that method was you could only fit 3-4 cars in line before they started to block the rest of the parking lot. Move the front of the line where the VA line is now so you can fit 10-12 cars without interupting the flow of cars trying to park.
1line View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2005 at 7:11pm
That was the ONLY problem -- if the cars would have moved forward, they wouldn't have back up to Mine Road and the few DC people we've switched everything around for wouldn't have had to walk so far to find a ride.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2005 at 5:03am
1line,

You are partially correct. IF the slugline had merely been turned around and moved further down the median, that would've solved most of the challenges in the Mine Road lot. That was the only change I requested.

Now, I'm not aware of the challenges for the DC drivers/riders since I don't go that far in my commute. Maybe there were things that needed improved, maybe not. I just don't know.

I do know that one person took the initiative to put together a plan, run it before others in this forum, modify it and implement an improved overall system. I admire a person who takes the lead like that. That person is called a leader. Leaders get the credit when things go right. They also take the heat when things get snarled up. They also take criticism for merely changing things even if things get better.

The changes have been made. Nothing is set in stone. Slugging is nothing if it's not a flexible system.

If you see adjustments needing someone's attention, then you can follow the example of leaders who have gone before and come up with a plan to improve the system, solicit input, modify and implement your plan. You seem genuinely concerned that things aren't working better for the majority. If so, step up to the plate and swing away.

I'm always inspired by people who step out boldly to make things better around them and I encourage them as best I can.

Look forward to what you have to offer in the way of improving the Mine Road situation (not that I see anything needing improved, but I don't see/know all).

Good day!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
fryed_1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fryed_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2005 at 8:48am
Speaking of this lot...

Anyone else noticed that the bus is fuller and fuller coming from the old lot for downtown slugs in the mornings after about 6:30. There were about 12 people trying to get over to a line of about 7-8 cars. Maybe we should start doing downtown pickups at the old lot again?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic