Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

9/11 AM closures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 9/11 AM closures
    Posted: 09 Sep 2002 at 8:59am
The message boards this AM were flashing that the Memorial Bridge exit from HOV would be closed (as well as, I think, the Wash. Blvd. exits from the main lanes). Presumably this also means that going thru the Pentagon lot along the side of the building to Wash. Blvd. is also out. {And understandably so!}

So, any word on whether the Pentagon HOV exit will be open? Discussions on alternatives, esp. for Rosslyn-bound folks?

- Eric.

wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2002 at 9:46am
Attached below is the VDOT news release detailing closures around the Pentagon
- Will

RELEASE: IMMEDIATE September 5, 2002

Lucy Caldwell, Virginia State Police, 703-323-4515
Jose Thommana, Arlington County, 703-228-3575

TRAFFIC ADVISORY: September 11th Road Closures in the vicinity of the Pentagon
On Wednesday, September 11, a number of area roads will be closed from approximately 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. for commemoration events in the vicinity of the Pentagon according to the Virginia Department of Transportation and Virginia State Police.

· Route 27 (Washington Boulevard) directly in front of the Pentagon will be closed to traffic from approximately 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.
· The ramp from southbound Route 110 will be closed
· The ramp from northbound I-95 HOV lanes toward the Memorial Bridge will be closed
· Exit 8B from northbound I-395 to northbound Route 27 will be closed
· Pentagon South Parking will not be accessible from Route 27
· The ramp to northbound Route 27 from Columbia Pike will be blocked and all traffic must continue east toward Pentagon South Parking
· The ramp to northbound Route 27 will be blocked at the I-395 underpass and traffic will have the option to continue southbound on I-395 or continue north to Army Navy Drive or to northbound I-395

Northbound alternatives:
· Detour to the Memorial Bridge from northbound HOV lanes will be via the Pentagon exit, then right on Eads Street, left onto 15th Street South, left onto northbound Route 1 to northbound Route 110 to the Memorial Bridge
· Detour to the Memorial Bridge from northbound I-395 will be via exit 8C, then continue straight on South Hayes Street, left onto 15th Street South, left onto northbound Route 1 to northbound Route 110 to the Memorial Bridge.

Route 110 truck and bus restrictions are still in effect.

Message Signs will alert motorists to closures.

miyam210 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miyam210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2002 at 11:27am
From what I understand from that memo. The a.m. northbound HOV Pentagon exit will not be affected or it will remain open. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2002 at 12:07pm
Thanks to wdossel for the VDOT news release....

Has anyone heard of any restrictions/changes with regards to entering the Pentagon that morning to drop off slugs?

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2002 at 9:48am

The HOV lane ramp will be closed at 7am tomorrow:

"The ramp from northbound I-95 HOV lanes toward the Memorial Bridge will be closed"

Has anyone ever tried taking the beltway to I-66 and then in on I-66 which is HOV? I slugged with someone a couple of weeks ago that took the Ffx county parkway and then in on 66 to Rosslyn, but it was a very long trip.

miyam210 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miyam210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2002 at 11:29am
That is not the way I understand it. Reading the memo again, it seems the AM northbound HOV lanes will be OPEN but up to the PENTAGON EXIT only. Therefore, those going to 14th street, need to exit via the PENTAGON as stated here:
====================================
Northbound alternatives:
· Detour to the Memorial Bridge from northbound HOV lanes will be via the Pentagon exit, then right on Eads Street, left onto 15th Street South, left onto northbound Route 1 to northbound Route 110 to the Memorial Bridge
===================================
Furthermore, if you follow this link,

http://virginiadot.org/infoservice/news/NOVA09092002-Sept11.asp

it appears that the Pentagon South Parking is ONLY closed if you are coming from Route 27, so I assume drivers can still turn left once they exit via PENTAGON and drop their slugs in the regular location since they will be entering the south parking lot via Eads street.
========================================

"Pentagon South Parking will not be accessible from Route 27"

"The ramp to northbound Route 27 from Columbia Pike will be blocked and all traffic must continue east toward Pentagon South Parking"
============================================

miyam210 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miyam210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2002 at 11:31am
That is not the way I understand it. Reading the memo again, it seems the AM northbound HOV lanes will be OPEN but up to the PENTAGON EXIT only. Therefore, those going to 14th street, need to exit via the PENTAGON as stated here:
====================================
Northbound alternatives:
===================================
Furthermore, if you follow this link,

http://virginiadot.org/infoservice/news/NOVA09092002-Sept11.asp

it appears that the Pentagon South Parking is ONLY closed if you are coming from Route 27, so I assume drivers can still turn left once they exit via PENTAGON and drop their slugs in the regular location since they will be entering the south parking lot via Eads street.
========================================

"Pentagon South Parking will not be accessible from Route 27"

"The ramp to northbound Route 27 from Columbia Pike will be blocked and all traffic must continue east toward Pentagon South Parking"
============================================

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2002 at 3:04pm
quote:

That is not the way I understand it. Reading the memo again, it seems the AM northbound HOV lanes will be OPEN but up to the PENTAGON EXIT only. Therefore, those going to 14th street,

No! That's wrong. The memo, in a nutshell, simply states that Rte. 27 (Washington Blvd.) going past the Pentagon will be closed. As will ANY ramp that would normally feed onto that section of road. Period.

The parts about DETOUR to MEMORIAL BRIDGE are strictly for those folks who would normally peel off of 395 and head to the Memorial Bridge via Wash. Blvd.

Regardless, with EVERYONE that's headed for a Northern VA destination exiting at or near Eads St., it is going to be a really interesting morning!

- Eric.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic