Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to say tonight... hm...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to say tonight... hm...
    Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 3:16pm
We are granted but three minutes (0:03) each to speak. If you are part of a group, God forbid, your group is allowed only three minutes (0:03) for a single representative. Maybe these are normal rules for such public comment sessions, but I still feel stifled, like a sponge dipped in peanut butter.

So what can we say in three minutes? Damn little, for sure.

Here's my Top Ten:

1. inability to ensure the promise of free HOV
2. double-taxation to add a single substandard lane on an existing road
3. increased congestion of the lanes caused by more entrances and exits
4. permanent north-end tie-ups since the bridges and Pentagon exits aren't being widened
5. permanent funneling of PWC residents' money into the coffers of a TX and an Australian company
6. a minimum cost of $4,680 per year (based on a 30-mile commute at $.30 per mile)
7. transfer of a public asset to a private firm for 60 years
8. compromised safety with reduced lane width and no breakdown shoulder
9. statement by VDOT official that they need to look at how to guarantee sufficient room for toll-payers by limiting free HOV use
10. statement by head of DC-area transportation authority that free HOV on the toll roads is NOT guaranteed despite repeated promises
11. no-compete clauses, no indication of state role in setting toll rates, no guarantee funds will be used in our area
12. PWC and Springfield citizens will pay for extension of toll road to Stafford and F'burg
13. abdication of responsibility by elected officials at every level to provide solutions for ALL citizens, not just those of means

OK, so I can't count. Sue me.

Whose got #14?

goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 3:36pm
Ah, you had to end with #13, that's bad luck :-)

Although obvious, I think that it should be mentioned that the highly publicized informal car-pooling system that has made HOV successful, the slug system, will go away if HOT is implemented.

Goober
koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 4:16pm
Speaking of the meeting - for those who cannot go - here is the info to submit your comments:

MEETING ON HOT LANES
There will be a public meeting about High Occupancy Toll lanes at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the A.J. Ferlazzo Building at 15941 Donald Curtis Drive in Woodbridge.

The public can offer comments during the meeting where transportation experts will evaluate two proposals to build the HOT lanes from Northern Virginia to the Fredericksburg area.

During the comment session, people can speak for three minutes each. Groups should designate one person to speak on their behalf.

The two proposals are from Clark Construction and Shirley Contracting Company, or Clark/Shirley, and Fluor Virginia Inc. and Transurban USA Inc. or Fluor-Transurban.

The meeting agenda includes a financial evaluation of the proposals, a regional traffic analysis, a public comment session and a panel discussion.

The proposals were submitted under the Public-Private Transportation Act, which allows VDOT to partner with private entities to build roads

Those who cannot attend the meeting can submit their comments to www.virginiadot.org. The direct link is
www.virginiadot.org/projects/ppta-I-95_I-395HOTLanes.asp. They can also send comments to the Virginia Department of Transportation, Innovative Project Delivery Team, attention: Jay Loftus, 1401 E. Broad St., Richmond, VA 23219
koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 4:19pm
Further, I realized that link sited in the webpage I copied doesn't work. However this comment link does: http://www.virginiadot.org./projects/ppta-I-95_I-395HOTLanesGI.asp#comment
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic