Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wouldn't it be nice...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wouldn't it be nice...
    Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 8:12am
If we focused on the positives from both sides of this activity? Seems lately there has been a lot of divisiveness and hostility generated because of the discussions ongoing herein.

To what end? Are any of us making the daily commute all that more bearable by unloading tons of grief on each other?

I can understand the frustrations folks are facing. Gas prices are going up. Drivers are paying more to drive. Slug lines are getting longer. Slugs are waiting more and more to catch a ride.

In one sense, the higher gas prices are "good". There are fewer vehicles on the road. More people forming carpools--informal or formal. I imagine many people are thinking twice about another trip "out" since it will cost them more to drive wherever their whim might take them. Then again, these are opportunities to engage in meaningful conversations and relationships with others around us.

Maybe this forum provides the opportunity to let off some steam. More meaningful would be discussions that work towards a solution set to some of the challenges associated with slugging instead of pushing "agendas". Would anyone consider letting off that steam at the situation instead of the people (who probably aren't as diametrically opposed to you as you perceive) involved? I'm pretty sure most of the people on this site wouldn't ever consider talking to others in person they way they do here. Each time we choose to engage in more base arguments, we diminish a bit of who we are as a people and nation. Those who throw mud get muddy too.

So, next time we're feeling a bit of friction in our lives (especially in the commuting world), let's take a moment to reflect on what we have, but more importantly on who we'd like to be as a people and nation.

I write this after feeling a bit of friction in my own commute this past week. Too many accidents, too many delays in the commute. Many slugs not seeming as considerate as "I" think they should be. That in turn driving me (pun intended) to be a bit less considerate of others as well.

Right now, I choose to be better than that. To treat others better than myself because it's the right thing to do. And if it happens, maybe they can pass on that kind of treatment to others throughout the day as well.

Best to all and please remember life is made in the choices we make.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 8:53am
I absolutely appreciate the adminstrator's time and effort into getting this board going. However, I think it would be nice if he were a more active presence. It's a shame that one must wade through the junk around here to get to useful information or intelligent discussions. I enjoyed being active here until things started becoming ridiculous.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 12:54pm
N/S Bound - thanks for trying to be a "peacemaker".

pb1974 - Admin can't be a censor, he'd be on here full time these days.
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 1:23pm
N or SB almost always has a positive outlook about slugging and life in general. I always enjoy reading his posts. I have been guilty of being less civil on these boards than I should be, and I have tried recently not to post anything unless I have something nice to say or a suggestion to make. It's been very hard not to respond at certain things but I am proud to have taken this step.

I have also come to realize that there is like some competition among two or three posters to incite people to say negative things on the board, and it seems to me that the only reason they say these things is simply to stir everyone up. When we respond, we simply stoop to their level and they win.

Thank you for reminding us of the importance and magnificence of a positive outlook N or SB.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 1:37pm
I think the board is really an outlet for a lot of our subscribers. Of course, positive messages are always good; however, negative ones generate responses the author probably want to hear or read. I don't think it's so much hostile, but more of "generating a response" to keep a thread going. As long as someone is not in your face with this, this is the place to do it.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 3:20pm
All,

Thanks for the kind words. I often slip and don't practice this, but then it is PRACTICE which leads us to form that positive image and vision for our lives.

Groveling around practicing to be less than we were created to be does lead us to become the baser person we are rehearsing to be.

I like to participate in discourse which engages the mind for the most part. The "yes it is/no it isn't" debates we see don't serve to move peoples' thoughts and attitudes one iota in any direction. Disconnecting from others isn't the answer either since that is admitting defeat.

I don't lose---ever! I only grow more passionately involved and concerned even when the temptation is to run away screaming into the night.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic